Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95YJ with a 2.5 inch suspension lift. I currently run 31 inch tires and would like to move up to 33s. Although 33s would fit with my current setup , wheel travel would be significantly hindered by the fender wells. I figure I need another inch or two of lift. I was thinking of installing a one inch body lift (wouldn't require any mods, I think) and perhaps replace the stock shackles with a set providing another 3/8".
Would these minor lift mods require any other modification that I'm missing. By minimizing the amount of each type of lift, I'm hoping to avoid the problems normally associated with lifting the Jeep almost 4 inches with any one type.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Johnny B

Johnny B.
95YJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Exactly the setup as on my CJ-7. But, I believe up front on a YJ you will have a little bit of interference at full articulation, you
usually need 4" lift to clear 33s on a YJ.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I can see, you'll need a few additional things:

1. Extended brake lines (18" or longer)
2. Extendend travel shocks (at LEAST 4")
3. Extended trac-bar (JKS)
4. Extended bump-stops (3.5 to 4")

Hmmm... that should set you back about 500... /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Mix a computer and a Jeep, what do you get?
a jeepgeek! (aka: ME)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extended bump stops?! And take away all that travel you just gained. No way!

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget a set of TJ flares. That will help some.
And what about a Shackle Reversal up front? The one from M.O.R.E. gives 1" of lift.
And don't forget that a 33x9.50 or 10.50 will stuff inside the wheel well a lot better than a 33x12.50.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John, if you place the shackle reversal up front, and get 1" of lift, how do you compensate for the lift in the back? Longer shackles? More body pucks? Don't want that "sag" look! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Another Jeepgeek!
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Calmini makes a Full-Traction Shackle reversal that will give 2" of lift. it is a complete kit with rear shackles, and is fully bolt on. I'd go with a buggy leaf in the rear and maybe a .5" or 1" lift shackle. It is supposed to be released on 2/25/00 but they told me to keep in touch since they would take orders a little early. Come monday, when my paycheck hits the bank, I'm giving them a call! They also make a 3" lift spring for Wranglers. I will try to get their extra-long brake lines along with the SR, and buy some new shocks locally. My stock suspension with all trac and sway bars removed already maxes out the shocks and brake lines, and I plan on cutting the spring clips and getting teflon pads installed!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I guess I don't understand some of these comments - my comments in CAPS:

****From what I can see, you'll need a few additional things:

1. Extended brake lines (18" or longer)

WHY WOULD HE NEED THESE IF HE'S JUST ADDING A 3/8" LIFT SHACKLE AND A 1" BODY LIFT? SHOULDN'T MATTER.

2. Extendend travel shocks (at LEAST 4")

SAME QUESTION.

3. Extended trac-bar (JKS)

AGAIN.

4. Extended bump-stops (3.5 to 4")

THIS COULD HELP IF HE HAS INTERFERENCE, BUT WOULD LIMIT ARTICULATION.
You may bottom out on the shocks if you are right at the limit now, but 3/8" extra is not a lot - your existing shocks may have that travel in 'em. I would go with a longer shackle, not longer than 1" over stock, a 1" body lift AND TJ flares together, or a 2" body lift. Some people don't like body lifts over 1". This should get the 33s under there, provided your springs haven't sagged. Keep in mind, my 4" suspension, and 1" longer shackles still give me interference in back with my 33 x 12.5s on 8" wheels, but the springs have sagged considerably.

Just my opinion,
Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I've never seen this done BUT, i was talking with a jeep buddy and we noticed how thick the spring pearchs on a stock YJ dana 30 are. they mount the spring about 1 inch below the axle tube.
so, my idea would be to cut off the factory spring pearch and put some new ones on (at the same caster) but would allow the springs to be mounted about 1/4 inch from the tube(enough room for that center spring assembly bolt)
this would cost about $20 and provide 3/4 inch of actual lift /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifabout the same a 1 and 1/2 inch longer front shackles /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.