Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, This is my first post. I have owned Nissan trucks for 5 years now. My friend has a Tacoma and is buying a supercharger for $3K. Has anyone heard of the same kind of opportunity for the 3.0 Nissan engine. I hope you guys can help me out.
Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
don't do it and tell your friend not to bother. a supercharger will drastically reduce the life of your motor. there is a guy i talked to in town here who has a TRD toyota truck with that supercharger stock from the factory. 1 year and 25,000(!) miles later, it is puffing a little smoke at start-up and tends to burn a bit of oil while running. not bad but noticible. completely unacceptable for a truck that young. another buddy of mine was told by the toyota dealer not to get it with his TRD for the same reason. fyi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disagree. The problem with the TRD kit is that i believe it bolts right up with no real modifications to the computer like air fuel ratio. If you do plan on donig this it will have to be a custom job because i'm pretty positive that there is no kit available yet for nissans. I'm planning to supercharge mine with either a whipple charger or a paxton centrifugal supercharger. Just try to find a mechanic you can trust and talk to him about it. I think it will cost more than 3k though because of the custom work needed.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i am still out on the whole issue. i believe in 2001 nissan will offer that option on thier trucks. and if you check with stillen automotive, they have a supercharger for the pathfinder. they would probably know wether it fits a 3.0 or not . good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it is good to hear some other opinions. I know you guys know how sweet the extra HP would be, I just couldn't stand killing one of those great Nissan engines. I will continue my research. Buy the way I'm putting a 93 engine in my 88 SE-V6. There has been much effort in making the switch but I'm almost there. Is it a good idea to put another ground on the engine to the frame just to be safe? If so where would you put it? I have heard nightmares about trannies and engine componets arching together after engine jobs because a ground was forgotten. Thanks
Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've been thinking about making the same engine swap in my '88 finder. I've got a 92 that came outta my dad's nissan truck that i was going to put in. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how the you like the change after you're done and how much "a lot of effort" was.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts