Off Roading Forums banner

super swamper SSR vs TSL radial??

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Sycho15 
G
#1 ·
so, which one is better?? i figured the SSR was what i wanted, due to the siping and the radial design, but i did a little research and it seems they are quick wearing and the sidewall's arn't all that strong. the TSL on the other hand seems to last longer and is stronger. which tire performs better off-road, and is the road-noise difference that much of a factor? how much $$ does it cost to get tires siped? which one works better in snow? any comments for either tire, or any other brand (buckshot mudders???) are greatly appreciated. thanx /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Keith
89/91 cr 125
89 Yamaha SRV

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Bought the SSR's. I could not get them to balance. Prepaid for the pre-balanced pads, did not work. Then they tried to balance them 4 more times. Still no. Then they tried to put equal in them, a balancing powder, nada. I had the tires for about 700 miles before I gave up. In that 700 miles they wore at an alarming rate. I could see a noticable difference in tread depth. Pissed me off when I paid $212 each for five of them. I have seen a pair of TSL Radials that lasted for 40000 and still had a lot of tread left on them, toyota pickup. I would recommend that IF you do get the TSL, order them wider than normal. The tires are narrower than most tires that have the same section width. Good Luck, its late, happy Jeepin!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G
#3 ·
I have the tsl radials--33x12.50
they are awesome in mud, make some noise on road but not bad in a YJ, and the wear is not bad either --but it is on a light jeep. Put these on a heavy full size rig and I bet the wear would be bad and the noise worse too. But if your wanting a swamper who cares about noise!!

G
#4 ·
I agree with Lee R. Byrd...SSR's wear faster than the tsl radials. I've had a set of tsl radials and now have some SSRs for strictly trail use (BTW mine balanced out fine). The tsl radials wear real well on the road and are great in mud & rock. You can get a lot of miles out of them. TSLs tread design is slightly wider spaced than the SSRs so they clear mud out a little easier. They are not so hot on wet, slick pavement/rock. SSRs are much better on wet surfaces because of their sipping and maybe because of their softer rubber. I also agree that you ought to look into a wider sized tsl...their 33x12.50 are not near as wide as other 12.50 tires, probably an 1" narrower.
I might also add that I traded for my SSRs, used, from a friend. They had minimal use but visible wear and two sidewall punctures.
Shain

#5 ·
Shain,
How did you address the repairs to the side wall punctures. I have 2 35" TSL that have been pressed into duty as spares, due to side wall puntures. The only thing that would work for me was to cement a thick inner shoe over the puntures and then use a Heavy duty inner tube. They hold air fine but the tubes dont air down as well. At low pressure (under 6 lbs) the tube didnt have enough volume to firmly hold its position inside the tire, and consequently tore the valve off. So I know have 2 35" Swampers that have been forced into early retirement as spares only(they are great spares though a about 10 psi, no problem).

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

G
#6 ·
Jeff:
Actually I'm still in the process of addressing the sidewall issue. Got the tires, 2 warn hubs and (4) 15x10s on a trade for some work so I couldn't pass it up. Suprisingly, I've been using multiple plugs in the tears and getting okay results...some leakage but good enough for a full day. I was concerned the plugs were gonna catch on the rocks and pull out. So, I've just switched to a boot with lots of glue and without a tube, but I'm not sure how well thats gonna hold up when aired down...carrying spare plugs with me. Next step is a big truck tire place a place a buddy told be about that supposedly will either revulcanize (remelt the rubber) or use a huge boot to patch 'em and guarantee 'em for $60 each. After all that time and wasted money, I'll probably have to buy two new ones /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
Shain

G
#7 ·
thanks a lot guys! this is exactly what i needed to know. i think i will go with the TSL radials due to their better on-road durability and they are a fair bit cheaper. just out of curiostiry, can you get tires siped? does it effect their durability? how much and where (local tire shop??) thanks once again /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Keith
89/91 cr 125
89 Yamaha SRV

G
#8 ·
Yeah, you can get 'em siped. In your neck of the woods I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find. I dont know costs or durability issues. Local tire shop sounds like a good starting point.
Shain

#9 ·
Anyone running the buckshot radial or bias ....any comments on durability and noise...I am looking for something in a narrow profile mildly agressive ,since I don't do much off road ,,,,,can't afford to fix what hasn't broke yet..
TIA
Ray

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

#10 ·
Buckpops? You'd better get used to sidewall punctures. A few guys around here tried them, got used to the sidewall repairs in a hurry, both switched to Swampers. Try the 33x9 BFG Muds, they're a good tire.

As to the sidewall issue, I repaired mine (bias ply Swampers) with some 2 ply patches (from NAPA) inside and out. Scuff up the tire with an angle grinder really well, use some NAPA oh-my-word-will-stick-to-anything tire cement, and cement the patches well, making sure to get all the air bubbles out. I repaired a sidewall slice on the bead and it still holds air. No tube, and I've aired it down to 4-6 psi regularly. The outer patch is coming off from the rocks, but the inner one is still holding.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

#11 ·
When I was running Road Rebel street tires I sliced the sidewall on one up real bad. Bought a tire patch kit from Super Walmart that comes with assorted size patches and a bottle of glue. I glued a medium-sized patch to the cut, then a large patch over that, then the huge patch over that. Each time smothering everything in glue. After the huge patch had set I put the remaining glue over it and smeared it all around the area. Held up for 4 months with no leakage, and I aired down to 10psi to run (and jump) in the sand. The patch was still holding up when I got four used 31x10.5 tires of different makes and put them on. The used BFG is my spare now...

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.