Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well for those guessing, no it's not a solid axle swap, not yet. but it's still pretty nice, REAR SHACKLE FLIP! it's a helluva lot harder than it looks because there's always something in the way of whatever you're doing but i finally finished. i gotta get some washers or shorter ubolts tomorrow because i'm not even going to use the wedges. expect complete write-up tomorrow with more pics and hopefully some better quality ones.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
ah HAH!
i MUST see your write up when its done!
This is something i am very interested in doing in the future, and it would be great to see how you do it, how it looks finished (already seen some shots from other trucks) and, most importantly, how it rides! you gotta keep us posted!

G

·
Cool beans. You did move the hanger forward a little, right? Keep your spring eye bushings in good shape or it places strange loads on the shackles, adn they'll bend:

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, moved it forward a couple inches. just made the page, let me know what you think and if i need to add something. the pictures are nasty, i'll try to get better ones tomorrow.

http://www.arkansasmud.com/rsi/

i decided to keep the stock wedges but now i have to go track one down since mine cracked in half... i'll let you know how the truck sits and get a picture of it tomorrow as well. bye, need sleep.

G

·
It appears from your pics that the shackle is leaning back. i.e. the rear of the spring is foward of the shackle mounting point. I thought the shackle was supposed to lean slightly the other direction. Maybe I'm just not seeing the pic correctly.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
AHAAAAAA, we shold have known what you were up to. Grade8 bolt questions, recent outing having rear axle lift block problems.

Take that pic when you are finished so we can see the stance of it front to rear. I think many are wondering just what they need to do this and get a nice level stance.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your wish is my command... new pics on the page, check it out. it appears to sit exactly as it did before the flip, so i'm a happy critter

FYI, i did use the factory wedges to help the angle, which also let me use the stock u-bolts that i happen to still have

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have one more question about the shackle flip:
Will the truck still be able to tow the way it used to?
Now, obviously, its a lifted truck, so you dont wat to be doing alot of super-heavy towing down the highway, but do you think itll still tow ok?

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they're all working fine here.... let me know if you need me to up them to this thread. the chevy guys were talking about how the shackle is now being compressed as opposed to being under tension, but i dont see how that would really make a difference in strength under normal use. reinforcing the shackle doesnt sound like a bad idea though, just for some cheap insurance. i would not be afraid to tow with it like this though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts