Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a sun roof in a hard top, and if so, what kind, where from, what size? J.C.Whitney shows two types in two sizes, a 15x30 and a 17x35. Anyone had any experience with these or recommendations on which size? I would like to have the larger but not if it will mess up the integrity of the top. Any input is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
462 Posts
I don't recall which size mine is. Here is a photo of it - the photo was to show all the pollen here this year - that is what those yellow streaks are on a normally shiny black top. I would never be so stupid to ruin a perfectly good hard top again! The dumb thing leaks at least once a year and needs resealed, the stupid plastic rollers lasted one season, and the sun that beats down on you on the long OTR trips in the summer gets a little tiring. The only time it is nice is when it is still too cold in the mornings and afternoons to take the whole top off but still too hot in the midday with just the windows open. It does circulate some more air. The other time it is good is for flicking boogers on tailgaters. You'll nail 'em every time! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Attachments

· Registered
1,391 Posts
A while back a friend of mine had a sunroof to fit an old VW beetle that he was going to throw away. It fit great in the 1/2 hardtop for my Scrambler. Sorry, no photos. But I think the size could be determined by measuring what free space there is on your hard top.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 80 CJ7 with a factory installed sunroof. The thing leaked like crazy, had to bring it back to the dealer twice a year, they say that the hard top expands and contracts different then the sunroof so it opens up the seams. Now I have a 86 CJ7 and will do without the sunroof.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
As far as hurting the structural integrity of your top, you should be fine as long as you don't cut into the radius on each side of the top. The flat center doesen't give much structure to the shape of the top.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.