Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions for \'90 Jeep Cherokee

Hi all,
I am an extreme newbie to the world of 4x4 and to Jeeps in general. I hope you can help me with some general questions about "Jeeping".

I just acquired a 4WD/4Door 1990 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer from my sister who never used the Jeep for anything other than "going to the mall". She was looking to get another vehicle and decided to "pass it down" to me (I already had an F150). Well, it never occured to me how great of an offroad vehicle this was...and after seeing some pictures here on this Website, I was sold! Now, I am just a newbie and do not do much offroading (offroading to me is navigating around potholes). But, I am willing to learn.

I live in South Texas where the land is flat as a pancake (or, I should say "Tortilla"). The only obstacles we have here are brush and sand...we have a kick ass 30-mile long island of sand off the Texas coast called South Padre Island which actually goes on some hundreds of miles. I believe it's the longest Island in the world.

Aside from getting the Jeep checked out and analyzed over and under, what are some of the basic upgrades I need to make the Jeep a true off-road vehicle? I'm not talking about BIGFOOT here, just something that is easy on the street, yet a killer in the sand.

Can I get by for now with an $800 budget?

1.)I would like some BFG 31x10.5 All Terrain Tires, but it looks like a lift is going to be needed. Correct? Can I get by with 30x10.5?

2.)Is a lift an ABSOLUTE MUST or is it mainly for rock climbing?

3.)What kind of shocks do I need?

Any other BASIC essentials that I need at this point?

Thanks for any enlightenment on this. I look forward to corresponding with ya'll.

· Registered
517 Posts
Re: Suggestions for \'90 Jeep Cherokee

Hello and welcome

The only mods you need to make your Jeep a true off road vehicle are -
tow points front & rear
hi-lift jack
tow strap(s)
emergency tools
wilingness to operate off road safely and with respect

Lift is not necessary ..but you will need to do something (lift or fender trim or both) if you plan to clear 31" tires.
Most likely the springs on your 14yr old Jeep are worn and sagging... so buy a small lift and fix the spring, bushing, shock, tire clearance, off road improvement, looks cool thing all at same time.

Get good name suspension parts. IMHO - Rubicon Express makes best bang for buck kits around.
Shocks need to be long enough to allow suspension to reach full droop yet still short enough so up travel is stopped by the bump stop not the shock.
be sure to replace the stock steering stabilizer shock too (the OE unit is weak)

$800 will be tight but you can do it if you plan well and are creative.

Stick around here. Read. Ask.
Find some local off-roaders and check out what they did to their rigs. Watch where they go and decide if you want your Jeep to do the same. Then you can decide what to mod on yours

· Registered
4,117 Posts

There are NO mods you need to make your jeep into a truly off road vehicle, IT ALREADY IS. Any mods are mearly improvements to make it even better and safer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for bringing me back to earth. I'd like to add some 30" tires, at least. So, a 2" suspension lift is probably going to be needed.

Blue89xj, are the rubicon express 2" lifts sold in pairs or are they single tire lifts? Do people normally just lift the back wheels or all 4?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Besides the things that the other guys have told you already I would definately suggest that you join a 4 wheel drive club. It will speed up how fast you learn about your vehicle and also other things like where to wheel and how to wheel, as well as giving you some one to wheel with. What ever you do decide don't go wheeling alone because this could run you into real trouble real fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.