Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before any of you slice into me for wanting to do such a blasphemous thing as hear my radio when traveling, I'm not expecting Bose quality sound just a little (very little) bass to balance out the sound. I've already got overhead speakers and the in dash (which of course don't work because H20 Volts=no sound) 6x9's (?). What I want to know is what kind of woofer should I get and where the hell do I put it? I thought maybe a small tube system on the middle of the floor under the dash, but then it'd probably melt from my satan's furnace of a heater. Any suggestions for my 94 YJ (sorry, but I dig the square lights) with a 3" lift and 33" tires.
-N
Also, any kind of sealant out there that acutally lets you take the windshield down and not leak when you raise it back up?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok Nick, you redemed yourself by appologizing first....and it is for a jeep....all we ask is that you keep it a decent level.

As for a place to put the woofer.....either under the seat or get side boxes and make it a part of that or fabricate your own. Look around, maybe someone make a center console that has a woofer in it.

Good Luck.......

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you *realy* need the cargo area behind the back seat ????

I made a custom box, which fits into this space. I slanted the topside of the box up in the rear (the tailgate side) apprx. 20-30 deg.
I was then able to fit 2 12" woofers (each haveing a chamber of about 35 liter)
in the topside of the box.
This, with two side boxes made to fit under the rear bars of the rollbar (on my '86 CJ7). Each box has an 8" full range a piezo horn for the top-end.

Power is a "560" W (more realistic -- 4x60W...) power amp (don't tell anyone, but it is mounted under the rear seat...)
The power amp has a built-in crossover, set to about 120 Hz.
There is no need for any crossover in the side boxes.

A rather cheap setup:
2 12" woofers in a home made box (made from old machine packing boxes).
2 side boxes (made from same material, 8" fullrange Piezo horn.
1 4 channel amp w/electronic crossover for the woofers.
1 old headunit from way-back 1985.

YES !! i *do* hear the music...
Chevy 305, fender well hedders, 1 "cherry bomb" on each side....
33x12.5" BFG All-terrain.

Regards,
PerJ(From Norway)

<[email protected]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a Radio shack $99. sub woofer behind the rear seat stuck to the carpet with Velcro. Whenever I have to load something I just ripp it up and stick it to one of the rear fender wells. If it gets stolen its no great loss. Also when the soft tops down it completely hides it.

No,/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif there is no way to stop a leaking windsheild you will just re route the water.
bandon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you just want some more sound, you can do what I'm going to do.. Just take a look in the Four Wheel Drive Hardware catalog and check out the Thor Sound Wedges, they fit in the space behind the roll bars and the rear wheel wells... The YJ models can fit 6X9's and the cool thing is if your at the beach or something, you can use a special key to remove them and point them outwards...

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok man do what you want. I have had over 15 different systems in all of my rides. The major thing i have learned is that you do not want to buy crap. I am not really into brand names like pioneer and sony and kenwood, but it is ok stuff. I hang with more competition stuff, we wont get into that though. Anyways if you are good with fiberglass you can be really creative and involve the box into the floor and into the fenders, this is what i did, and it is nice. Curvature looks really good, and fiber is waterproof. If you must use wood, only use particle-board or MDF board. Good luck let me know how it goes.

she thinks all my trucks are sexy!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
word of caution on the sound wedges, yes, they're 6x9"s, but the box is small = little or no bass.

If you ever go camping, and have to load up, your speakers will be 100% covered. I bought a tonneau deck cover, and fab'd up boxes the full length of my rear wheel wells, with a slight angle in the face towards the middle of the car. Usually works, usually sounds pretty good. At least they did till I blew them amp... /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

·
Registered
617 Posts
A high quality 8" sub puts out a respectable amount of base, and it doesn't need that big of an enclosure. JLAudio make a center console with sub for the YJ but I think it cost about $700. It is called the stealthbox, it should be on their website.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
go to www.polkaudio.com. they have sub-box plans on their web page. Their are a few designs that will fit into the back space of a CJ7. As for types or brands of subs...that's up to you...i recommend infinity, fosgates or polk's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To one and all - related question: Will a Bazooka Tube subwoofer work in a YJ? I am thinking an 8" unit self-contained (built-in amp) with quick disconnects so that I can remove it quickly for going camping or wheeling. I know that I have to aim it at a corner but that is all that I know. Does anybody have any experience with this installation? (I know there are better brands but I don't have big money or space nor are my ears what they used to be.)
sln

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nickfreak:"I'm not expecting Bose quality sound"

bose and quality sound in the same sentence?

no highs, no lows, must be bose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had a bazooka, non-amplified unit in my ext. cab truck for about 4 yrs. It cost about $100 but has been perfect. I don't think the jeep will have the best enclosure to generate really low bass but it will get some crisp punch that you may not be able to get out of soundwedges, etc. Make sure you are sending clean power to the amplifier whether it be in the sub or seperate (pre-amp output not a line level output) because the bazookas will not tolerate very much distortion before they blow. My wife went through 3 before she finally believed what I was telling her. A friend of mine had a set of Alpine 6x9 in some custom wood boxes in a TLC and used an alpine eq/amp to power them and they worked really well for him. The boxes weren't pretty but if you put covered disconnects outside the speakers you could remove them very easily. His speakers were about $120 (2 way, coaxial) and the eq/amp was about $150. Very versatile, relatively inexpensive, easy to install, quality equipment and sound. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Scott -
for your answers, that is. I really am a dummie on this so now I have to ask anothe question - What do you mean by 'clean power' and 'pre-amp output not a line level output'. I reeeeelllllly am a dummie.
sln

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.