Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i know i should be able to figure this out right? Anyway my question lies in the way the bolts are supposed to go. for the tcase drop you need to remove all 4 bolts, and replace them with new longer ones, and spacers. I already have the kit, just haven't put it in yet. So on each side where the bolts are you have a bolt going up (hex head on bottom, nut on top) and you have a bolt coming down (nut on bottom, hex head on top) The ones coming up seem to be the easy ones, but where is the NUT>??? is it welded in there (and where is there), or will i need to fish it out and line it up to the bolt?

Now the ones coming down. I take the nut off right- then how do i get the bolt out, where is the little bastard, hopefully it's not welded in, how would i get the new one in there. I know a bunch of you have done this, so let me know. I'm pretty lucky at 5ish inchs have hace ZERO vibs, but i wanna get it in there before i get to the 7".

Thanks Guys,

Todd

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE extended slip yoke.
RE adj trackbar
Quadratec SS Brakelines
31" goodyear wrangler at's
Sway-bar disco's

G

·
hey, I've been there....people told me to put two nuts on the stud and just crank them out(they are held in their by some mean locktite) but it worked for one and the other one I ended up having to get my trusty vice grips on the other one and just crank the sucker out. Stripped the threads in the process but you aren't reusing those studs anyway....good luck!

push your limits, be extreme...anything less and you'll never learn.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey but the qestion still lies, where do i access the tops of the bolts? are they in the unibody, under the carpet....??? For the ones with the nuts at the bottom do i hammer the bolts out and let they float somewhere HELP.

Thanks

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

G

·
no...what I am saying is that the bolts that are there with no nuts on them...there is no nut on top either...you have to imagine this...they are like bolts with no head....just the threads...there is no top or bottom....it is just a bolt with threads all the way up. you just have to get a good hold of the threaded bolt and crank it out...make sense? they are only held in their by some major locktite....do not try and knock them out with a hammer!!! you will strip the threads in the unibody!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 on each side on mine have nuts, i swear. They are the ones i assume that have the bolt coming down and then there is a nut on the bottom (the part you can see from under the truck)

Thanks

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ignore this pic test

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

G

·
ok...let me clarify...there is two bolts on each side for a total of four. looking under the jeep, you see two bolts with nuts on the bottom and two bolts with the head of it showing. The two that have the actual head showing you just unscrew those.....then there are the two that have nuts on the bottom...after you take those nuts off you just have the threads of the bolt showing from underneath....ok...these two where you just see threads now...there are no heads on those..they are studs. They don't have a head on them. You just have to clamp the threads on it and back it out counterclockwise(lefty loosie righty tightie). I know it sounds weird but are you getting it at all?

G

·
does that make any sense?

G

·
NHXJ,
THE BEST AND STRONGEST WAY I HAVE FOUND TO DO THIS IS TO DRILL OUT ALL 4 HOLES UP TO 1/2". THEN DRILL 1 3/4" HOLES IN FRAME WITH HOLE SAW THAT LINE UP WITH CROSS OVER BOLT HOLES. THIS ALLOWS U TO PUT A WRENCH IN THE FRAME TO TIGHTEN THE BOLTS. PLACE 1" SPACERS BETWEEN FRAME AND CROSS OVER AND REPLACE STUDS WITH #8 BOLTS AND TIGHTEN. ALSO GET SOME 1 3/4" RUBBER PLUGS FOR THE FRAME ACCESS HOLES TO KEEP THE CRUD OUT OF THE FRAME. THIS SET UP WILL HOLD UP TO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING AND IT IS MUCH EASIER TO WORK ON IF U NEED TO DROP THE CROSS OVER AGAIN.
GOOD LUCK,

89 2D XJ, 9 " OF LIFT, LOCKED F&R, 4.56, 4.1 LR, 38 X 12.5 TSLs AND TO MANY OTHERS TO LIST !!

I LIKE IT DIRTY,
XJ89XJ

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
smiley & XJ89XJ,

thanks guys i get it now, what can i say i'm inbred (not really). Anyway drilling that 1 3/4" hole sounds like a good idea, that was my next question actually, how to get the new nuts on!

Thanks Guys,

Todd

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.