Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a very stupid mistake of buying a explorer procrap......I know I know!!! I was just wondering if there is anything that I can do to soften up the right so it doesnt bounce as much and so I dont have to keep extra sports bras in my jeep for my passengers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. Greasable shackle and main spring eye bolt/bushings
2. Strip the springs, repaint with hamerite, and reassemble with teflon pads
3. Get new shocks - try Rancho RS9000's for $52 each (+ $5 s/h) Hotrod Offoad
4. Get used to it (you did after all buy a Jeep)
5. Capitolize on the opportunity - I saw a CJ 'round town here with the following license plate - "TTJGGLR"
Just some ideas.... Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Sorry, to hear about your purchase. I have the same 2-1/2" kit on my CJ7. It really rides like Crap. I have greasable shackles and the ES3000 shocks that came with the kit. To improve my ride I built a set of heavy bumpers and I run my tires at a pretty low PSI. I am hoping to get a set of Superlift Superride springs, but probably not any time soon. I have been told that new shock probably won't make that much difference, it is the springs that suck.

TOM85CJ7

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 32"BFG MT, Durabak On-Board Air

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2 1/2" procomp for my YJ and after about a year it settled down and it rides pretty nice now....but the first couple of months were pretty bad..so there is hope.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, if you have some heavy stuff, the Pro-Comp springs are the way to go, softer ones would sag. I have a winch, hi-lift and
33 inch spare, so for me the ride is OK. Also, I tow a Packmule trailer for camping, along with a loaded Jeep I'm actually glad I have
the heavier springs.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
6. Make sure your shackles aren't too tight. The factory torque specs are too tight.
7. Better option than number 2 (if you can find this stuff), is graphite paint. Farm supply stores should have it.
8. Listen to us the next time we warn you away from a product /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
i have the 4 inch cj kit and for the first few weeks it rode hard too. after a few trips flexing them, they softened a little. before i ordered it i called for the spring rates. the 4 inch had a lower spring rate than the 2 1/2 inch in the front which influenced my decision between them. the rears are the same spring rate. here are the numbers that pro-comp gave me:

_____2 1/2_____4
front 325 lb/in 290 lb/in
rear 250 lb/in 250 lb/in

i put rs5000s in the front and they are better than the shocks that came with the kit. i haven't gotten around to doing something with the back yet. i just swapped in a dana 44 and am using the shocks from the kit and the spring plate mount. i might be welding the axle mounted shock mount back on. i had to remove it because the spring pads needed to occupy that space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.