Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of the day this weekend I had driven a short distance in 5th/low and went to shift out of 5th and could not. I took the shifter apart on the trail but could not get anything to change down inside. When I put it back together the shifter then felt like it was in neutral but I was still in 5th. Any suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm positive it's not clutch related. TIA

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With shifter out you should be able slide gears in and out by moving shifter interface guides unless gear broke and is binding in fifth, rock vheicle back forth while trying
to shift and clutch push to floor.

hope it's just a shifter problem

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's possible that a broken shifter locater bolt is the source of your problem. I actually saw a Samurai scrapped because of a "bad" transmission-it was stuck in gear. A local tranny shop said it would cost over $800 to rebuild it. Well, after it was parted out my buddy and I were looking at the "bad" tranny. The shifter bolt was broken and turned somewhat sideways locking the transmission in gear.

FYI, the transmission is very simple and if you have the Suzuki shop manual I suggest you tear it apart and finds what's going on. It should be a simple fix.

1988.5 Zuk: OD Green Paint, ARB Bumper, OME Lift, 1.6 engine, ISKY DP Cam, Weber Carb, CF II Clutch, 4.16 Transfer, etc.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Scott,
This has happened to me a couple times. I think it is from worn linkage. I had to remove the shifter, then the tower. There are 3 sets of linkage, all have a block with a groove or slot that should all line up when in neutral (please forgive my terminology - I'm a backyard mechanic). When in 5th, the one on the left is shifted towards the rear of the vehicle. Use a screwdriver to work at the linkage (carefully now) and let the rod slip backwards allowing the slotted block to slide up and line up with the others to make it into neutral. (Gotta play around with it a bit). Then reassemble the works and the shifter should slide into postion (neutral).
Hope that can help you out some.
Where in Ohio are you located? I'm traveling thru Ohio this weekend....

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen, A hearty thanks for all of your suggestions. I tried manipulating the rods with a screw driver on the trail without success but did not think to try rocking the vehicle back and forth while doing so. Scott, I live in Dayton. Your welcome to stop by any time. Thanks again Gentlemen.

Scott Whitmore

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
so.... did you unstick the gearS?! try unlocking the front hubs if you have not. When I am on hard pavement with my zook and turn, the drive train sorta winds up and it is hard to shift with the mission and the x-fer case. I forgot to take'er out of 4x4 once..... oops..

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I have not had a chance to work on it yet. I'll get to it saturday. I work 12-14 hours a night so I don't get much time until the weekends. My hubs are unlocked but no difference. I was on pretty soft terrain when it happened. Thanks for asking.

Scott Whitmore

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.