Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow,
I just heard the new POWERSTROKE has 560 ft. lbs of torque & 325 HP!

And they downsized it to 6.0 liters plus put a beefy new 5spd auto behind it...

looks like the duramax aint no longer the BIG boy...

G

·
sounds good, lets see if thay all blow up or have they done this right. We run f550's at work for tool trucks, the extra power sounds nice, better on fuel to.:')

G

·
Only problem I see with the new powerstroke is it makes all this at something like 3200 RPM. That's pretty high for a diesel hope it can last. I would perfer a diesel that made its torque around 1200 to 1500 RPM the higher RPM's might lead to lower milage too. But, who knows maybe this is a new trend and it will work we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason diesels in the past always made their power at low RPM is because they had mechanical injection which you couldnt advance for higher RPMs like an ignition system on a gas engine, but now, with Electronic injectors on those babies, no prob!
Even though the PS 7.3 is electronic, if you have seen the heads, no wonder why they wont perform at higher RPMs.
Look at those Diesel Powerboats like the Drambuie on ice, those engines are running pretty high RPMs for a diesel also.
BTW, on fords website, they say it gets 10% better fuel mileage than the 7.3L but thats probably cause they got more power out of a smaller displacement motor.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i tried to post the power outputs at the given RPM range *BUT*, with the changes they made over here since i left, for some reason, it becomes my E-mail link

Guess you`ll have to go to FORD-TRUCKS yourself if you want any RPM specs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah the new powerstrokes numbers are impressive.But to me they are getting away from what was the strongpoint of the diesel,simplicity!If you had air and fuel it would run.Electronics,we don't need no stinkin electronics.I met a hot shot driver once with a old 7.3 that had 900,00 miles on it.The reason diesels last longer is they are made with heavy duty internals due to the high compression ratios and they run at low rpm's.High rpms are hard on an engine.Now the new diesels have so much electronics on them,it's hard to work on em anymore.In other words they are becoming like gas engines.An to some of us that's not necessarily a good thing.

Billy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts