Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,196 Posts
I think if the dealers are not required to carry emissions parts to replace malfunctioning units, you should not be required to have them at all. Maybe a 10 or 15 year period from when the vehicle is new. After that, there are probably not enough of that type of vehicle left on the road doing daily driver duty to matter anyways! All that emissions stuff does make the motor run better...when it ALL works. When just one part in the system fails, the whole system fails to work properly. My first car was a '70 Mustang Mach 1. 351 Cleveland (big valves, big cam) with a holley vac.secondary four barrel, dual exhaust, and NO emissions equiptment other than a PCV valve. It passed Wisconsin new car (1985 at the time) emissions standards. This was a big horsepower muscle car that passed because it was tuned well and ran well. I'd be willing to bet that still today (wherever it may be) it would beat any 10 year old car with all of that emissions crap on it in a smog test./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Sorry, what was the question? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Oh yeah...if it's not required by a visual test, you can probably ditch all the emissions stuff and make it run as clean as with all of that stuff on and working properly. I plan on doing the same to my '83, as of a couple weeks ago..no more testing at all in Minnesota/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifYEAH !!!!!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

· Registered
2,196 Posts
I agree with the statement that when a computer controled car is working correctly, it cant be beat. Problem is, there are sooooo many things that give feedback to that computer, which in turn, sends signals to control engine functions, that if one vaccum line is cracked, or one temp sensor is a bit off, the whole system breaks down and WILL leave you stranded somewhere with no idea of what is wrong. If you know motors and the related components, and you have a non computer/sensor controled vehicle, you will have very few problems. Please don't get me wrong. I LOVE things like EFI and such. I'd just prefer to keep dual purpose (street/trail) vehicles as simple as possible. When a float sticks, you can pop the top off the carb and fix it. If the chip that controls the fuel map in your computer fries, your not going anywhere until you find a dealer. I guess I just like to be a little more self sufficient than that. Sorry for rambling.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.