Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeeps both run on gasoline, but when I don't need them for the power or traction, I drive an old Volvo diesel. For the last 18+ months I've been running it on ~10% used crankcase oil, saved from years of oil changes. It also has some ATF and gear oil, and maybe some paint thinner, too.

It runs the same on this mixture as on straight diesel. It stinks a little, but not much. I carry a spare fuel filter, because even though I pump the oil through a fuel filter before putting it in the tank I have gotten a plugged filter.

This may not be for everyone, but this oil that was worthless is now $4.00/gallon saved. I would rather have biodiesel, but this is cheaper and handier.

I swear, I'm not nuts - I was a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic for 35+ years!

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use an electric fuel pump and filter from a junked gasser Volvo to pre-filter the used oil. Before that, I store it in a 55 gal drum mounted on its side, with a small hole at the bottom for dewatering. I seal the hole with a sheet metal screw with a gasket. I draw oil from the drum from the small bung, through a regular bung valve. This is about 1-1/2" above the dewatering hole.
As to the question of air pollution: I used to handle used oil processing for an oil recycling service to pick up, at a Copper mine. They just hauled it to a lime plant where it was burned for fuel. At $4/gal, I'd rather do it myself...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.