Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody thought about stretching a Jeep CJ or YJ. I know that somebody makes a 4 door TJ that you can by new. I was thinking on something with 4 doors and a bed in the back. Probably with a 110 inch wheel base. A soft top to cover the passengers and an open bed. Similar to a nissan 4 door pickup or a D110 sawn off. What do you think of this idea, possible with full width axles and a V8. I was thinking that this could be a interesting modification when I crack my frame again. I know it would be a little more difficult on tight trails, but I could take my friends without having them ride with the spare parts.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
look up Painless Wiring, they did a four door CJ project, pretty cool too!

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't see how you could get four doors and a bed out of 110" wheelbase. CJ8 beds are pretty short. Take away about 3 feet for another door and the bed becomes pretty short. Have youe seen the new Ford Explorer model that is due out for 2001? It's a four door with about a 4' bed behind it.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif A Suburban is a pickup with an eight-foot bed, and two seats in the bed. That leaves about three feet in the rear empty./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif You could do it with two feet less and still snooze back there, but that would be about as small as you'd want to go. Subs are nice to camp in with the seats all removed or down flat./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stretching a Jeep is about as easy as it comes, because of the flat body panels. I stretched my CJ-2 half a foot in one weekend. Going longer would have been just as easy, would have just needed to add more reinforcement to the frame.
Check out
http:www.home.off-road.com/~cj2a/Page14.html
for details
Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stretched my wrangler 20 inches to end up with a 113 inch wb. Never thought about putting 2 more doors on it though, think I prefer the 2 door look. With the back seat installed, I've got about 36 inches to the tailgate. As for a top, I prefer a hard top which I had to build myself from sheetmetal because no one makes a top for it. Had I went another 4 inches I could have used a scrambler top. The company that builds extended TJs is called AEV conversions. I had tried about 6-8 times to contact them about finding out who builds their tops, but no one ever contacted me. They are VERY pricy to, to the tune of $35000 plus. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been researching the idea now for about 8 months. I feel that 110 inches is too long for a wheelbase. I have a scrambler with a 103.5" wb and feel that is a very good compromise. It is very stable at freeway speeds, goes pretty much anywhere else a 93.5" WB will go, and eliminates multiple driveline probs. Anyways, my plan is to move the entire tub on my scrambler about 10 inches forward. That would allow me enough room to put in 4 doors without stretching the wheelbase any further. Basically the rear seats would remain in place while the front seats and tub were moved forward. This would keep the same dimensions up front and give the rear seat passengers 10 more inches of legroom. This would require additional sheetmetal work on the firewall, hood and inside of the tub but it would be worth it. I am also toying with the idea of cutting of the body right behind the rear passenger seat and having a removable bed. That way I could fab up different bed for different purposes. A longer on for daily use and maybe a shorter one for trail use, or a removable camper bed for extended trips. I could go on all day about this but here is a pic of the basic design (see attachment). The tires here would be about 38". If you have any questions let me know.

Bakes
83CJ-8

Attachments

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
To keep that short wheelbase, I assume you would want rear doors similar to the CJ5 shape. Just find a
CJ7 front tub section and a CJ5 rear tub section and graft them togheter. It shouldn't be hard to lengthen
the frame at the middle straight section. It's starting to sound like a little Hummer.

I couldn't help thinking about joining the bodies and retaining both windshields. Top only over the rear
passenger section, open over the driver and painted black similar to the '20s limos, but that's too weird
and a little expensive to do for a joke. Now if I owned a 4WD company and wanted to be noticed ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rumor has it that the Cherokee will look like a stretched TJ in 2001. I think I saw a picture of it in Petersons 4wd...

YJ94
I6, 3.5" Black Diamond, MORE, & more
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was actually thinking of using full size CJ7 doors and going with 110 inch wheel base to keep the wheels under the bed instead of in the door. I was also thinking about using coils under it like the defenders. I like the thought of a removable bed. As for driveline probelem I was thinking I could divorce mount the T-case. How long is the wheelbase of a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee incomparision to stretching a CJ to 110. Also does anybody know how well a D110 works offroad for wheelbase comparision. My concern is the breakover angle.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Wheelbases are:
XJ > 101.3 inches
ZJ, WJ > 105.3 inches
SJ > 110 inches

YJ94 mentioned the 4 door TJ for 2001 that will bear the name "Cherokee". This vehicle was first seen in 1997 as the concept "Dakar". Unfortunately, you cannot stretch a Cherokee XJ or a Grand Cherokee because they are unibodied.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just completed my 75 CJ-5, put in a 26" stretch and it works great. Triple lined the frame rails where we cut in and fabricated from sheet metal the sides and the tub... Works good and havent had any problems with the wheelbase.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Re: U guys got pics of your stretched rigs?

A couiple of you guys sound like you have some really interesting stretched Jeeps. How about some pics? Thinking about doing a wheelbase stretch on my Scrambler (just relocating the rear axle, not a full on frame & body stretch) so that I can run bucket seats in the rear and use CJ/YJ rear wheelhouses (my bed & wheelhouses are trashed due to rust, so I gotta buy parts anyway). Mopar360YJ, how close are you to the Chicago area? I'd really like to check out your rig...maybe even slide you a few bucks in the Spring to help me set mine up.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Re: U guys got pics of your stretched rigs?

Is it possible this is the same George Barris that did cutoms back in the '50s when I was a kid?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.