Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wipers work on high or low for a cycle or two, then stop. What is happening is that they are going too far to the right and getting hung on the bottom of the windshield frame. The motor works fine. What's up?
P.S. '80 CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The wiper blades are not on correctly. With the motor off and in the neutral position (all the way to the left, pop off the arm by using a screw driver to push up the base where it is pushed onto the rotating stud. Put back on but with the tip of the blade almost touching the left side of the windshield frame.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same problem, and have a different solution which has been told to me. When Jeep made the windshield the smart thing to do would have been to punch both wiper holes together in the same press, but what they did was not smart. They punched one hole, and then the other which allows the two holes to drift closer or farther apart. If one of your wipers drops down at the end of the range, the short term fix is to take off that wiper and it will work fine. When you are looking out of the vehicle through the window, if the right wiper drops to the left the holes are too far apart. If it drops to the right, the holes are too close. You can shorten up your linkage (even bend it) by 1/16 if the holes are too close, otherwise you are stuck with moving the holes or "growing" the linkage. This is of course, assuming both wipers were in the same balanced position to begin with. You can try looking for a new windshield and good luck.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
mine work for about 5 min before they stop.....i tried everything listed here so far, new linkage, adjusting the position of the wipers, removing one of the wipers, adjusting the pitch of the windshield frame where the wiper bolts on with a hammer(not recommended...had to buy a new windshield), a new wiper motor....new linkage again... i finally gave up... they kinda work... it IS annoying though..my wipers have been like this for years......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.