Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '98 TJ w/ A/C. In fan position 1, 2, or 3 sometimes it will start blowing warm air. It has not done it in fan position 4 yet. Actually when it starts blowing warm air in either 1, 2, or 3, when I switch it to position 4 it will start blowing cold again in a minute or two. Any guidance as to what to look for. I already had it to a shop and they said it didn't need a charge. They thought maybe the belt was slipping. After tightening the belt and then replacing the belt it still does it. Any help appreciated.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Maybe a vacuum leak to one of your air doors?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I was hoping that Dirt Dog would make comment on this, but in any case, the switch is NOT picking up the compressor circuit in any position except 4. Sounds like a switch problem to me. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif, buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
OK, sorry. I've been offline for a couple of days. Anyway both Will and Dave could be right. The swith in the dash does two things at one time. It runs a vacume AND an electrical circuit at the same time. Either could cause this problem. What you need to check for first is does the A/C compressor run on the lower speeds? Get out and look under the hood. If it is running the I would say it's a vacume problem. If it doesn't.....then it's time to start running the electrical circuit.

29" Thornbirds, pine air freshener, 401 to 2.5 conversion
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You're not the first TJ owner to have curious things happen with the fan switch. My wife's TJ sometimes won't work on the #3 postion. When it doesn't work ..nothing works. No blower and no air appears (or is that "feels") to be coming out off any ducts ....wiggle the switch and "slap"!! the doors flap and the a/c (or whatever is "on" at the moment) blasts out the appropriate vent. This only happens to us in the #3 position (which is what we use the most ...#1 & #2 are too low and #4 is too noisy). Since it corrects itself with a little wiggling I'm assuming it is a dirty contact. It could however just be wore out (poor product design).

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts