Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Storage for \"stuff\" on CJ5

I'm in the process of planning a summer jeeping trip to somewhere west of here /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif and I have a question that has been stumping me. Where do I put all of my stuff while jeeping? When I go out, I want to bring with me my bucket o' chains, straps and clevises, my two toolboxes full of essentials, a few spare parts, some extra bolts and stuff, probably a cooler, and most likely, 4 people in a CJ5. I have looked at those racks that mount on top of the tire carrier, and they certainly would have enough room...but...while I'm certain that the homemade tire carrier would have enough strength, I'm not wild about having all that weight way up there, right above the rear seaters' heads. So what's the answer? Some different kind of rack? Bury the rear seat passengers in tools and chains? Leave the rear seaters at home? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Whaddya all do? (Or even whaddya all plan on doing?)
Deano

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Re: Storage for \"stuff\" on CJ5

This may end up turning into you having to make custom storage compartments since most I have seen don't work well with rear passengers.

I don't much Jeep stuff as of late, but here are a few suggestions:

- You could get one of those rear seats that flip up and have storage underneath.
- You could buy/make some boxes to sit on the rear wheel-wells.
- I have seen some soft pouches that are triangular and strap to the roll bar beside the passengers.
- If there is any room under the hood, mititary ammo boxes can be used there for storage of items that don't mid a little heat.
- A good center console can hold a LOT of stuff!
- Have you see the small diamond plate boxes that are supposed to go in truck beds and sit in the floor, facing the tailgate? They are about 18-20" tall, 6" wide, and 18" or so deep, have a door that opens, and 4 or 5 slide out drawers inside? I would think you could mount one of these to a swing out tire carrier like a jerry can would be. That would be neat/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
- a rear "Rubicon" rack would be great too for anything else that doesn't fit into one of the places I just suggested/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

How abou using a utility trailer (like the military style) with pintle mount hitch.

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Deano,
I took a small boat trailer axle and frame and with a little imagination and a 4' x 2' x 2' construction tool gangbox with dual inset locks and turned it into a hunting/camping/jeepin/funtime go anywhere hauler to pull behind my jeep. Its lite and easy to manuever around easy to handle by yourself. What more can i say, works for me. Everywhere I've gone I get a slue of comments on it. Just a thought, I need to get a camera so I can post some pictures one o'these days. Later.

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey farmjeep, you've hit on my new product, /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifalmost/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif... I should have it up for production by summer, (after it's been patentend)... I think it's a good idea, research will say so, or differently... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

I don't even know how much it will cost... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am going to lift my rear seat up about 1.5 inches (over stock) with some plastic wood. This way I will be able to get a couple of small tool boxes and ammo boxes under it. Also it gives the rear passengers a little more leg room. Actually I decided to lift it after my 6'6" and 6'5" friends complained about leg room. I haven't put the blocks in yet since it isn't a crucile thing like the frame or the transmission that needs work. I'm working on the most important thing first. Another option for a trailer is a surplus military trailer. They only cost a few hundred dollars aand look cool.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Tim, do you know any links for pricing on the miltiary trailers?

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif At one time, we toyed with the idea of eliminating one rear seat, and making half of the entire rear area in our CJ into a big storage box. We would use a single seat like the front seats. Of course in a CJ7 there is more length, and that didn't look like too bad of an idea. Then, we thought heck with it, we'd go with a box that went completely across the rear area, leaving a short shelf in front which would have a net....like those tailgates for pickups that resemble cargo nets.....which would hold bags of groceries, and trip bags of all sorts. We are looking at some nice truck boxes which would go from tub edge to tub edge and we notch out the wheel houses and reinforce the spot where the roll bar sets./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif A two-seater will be OK for us./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

http://brightnet.horizontel.com/mvs/misc.htm The page has been loading slowly as of lately. They have M332, M101, and M416 trailers. Also if you look around their site you can find most military vehicles including Hummers, Ammor personal carriers, Old main battle tanks, and other cool things.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif One of our family friends has a Stuart tank sitting in his garage at home. That's even better than a website. Whenever I can afford about sixty gallons of gas, I can take it for a spin down to the corner and back. It has two very thirsty flathead caddies in it with dual hydramatics./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What kind of ground clearance do you have, though? You didn't use those little boat trailer tires, did you? Do your trailer wheel bolt spacings match your jeep's bolt spacings?

Dean

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Deano,
I used 12" tires on 12" galv. boat trailer rims. It has 1" soild axle welded to steel channel with coil springs. (I need a camera) I don't try to drag this all over the trails, we usually set up a central place when we go and I'll unhook and lock it down and go do what ever. I have a couple trailers for various things and they were all old boat trailers. All have the same bolt pattern I use one spare for all. I guess I could have used a Jeep something or other, but then I'd wanted to run the same tires as my jeep on it, might be kinda expensive after awhile, I don't use my trailers as much as my jeep. Just my dimes worth. Later

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?

·
Registered
401 Posts

Packing a lot of stuff and four people in a CJ5 are mutually exclusive. Me, I'm more likely to have 3 (myself and two daughters) on a run. Anyway, here's what I do:

1. Space behind the rear seat (about 7"; I don't know where the rear seat normally mounts as I have a glass tub) is boxed in with a hinged lid (no tailgate)..... that's where spare fluids, lug wrench, jumper cables, bolt box, baling wire, etc. (all the stuff you'd want to carry whether on the road or the trail) stay. Hi-lift jack mounts to the hinged lid (so only infrequently used stuff is inside).

2. .50 cal ammo box bolted to the left rear wheel well, with a padlock, for basic tools, tire gage, etc. (again, always there).

3. Tow straps, chains, shovel, etc.: under the rear seat. However, I almost learned the hard way last summer at Mabell (came close to duplicating the event for which Samuri Hill is named /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif )that the strap really needs to be more accessible.....

4. I got some "nets" (they look like nets but are really rubber-- from an Isuzu Amigo hardtop) on the front of the front seat frames to keep stuff from sliding out: water bottles, raingear, and still more oil and/or antifreeze (until recently I was in a bad "leak mode" /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif so oil and coolant weren't in the "infrequently used" category, but I fixed the radiator a few weeks ago and the rear main seal yesterday).

5. Another .50 cal ammo can is my "center console".

6. Since I usually have only one backseat passenger the big toolbox gets strapped to the floor behind the driver's seat.

7. For road trips or mild trails (it drastically reduces the departure angle) I built (or you can buy for around $80-100) a cargo carrier that plugs into the trailer hitch. I built that mainly for hunting, to avoid cleaning bloodstains off the rear seats, but it holds enough stuff for a camping trip for a family of four for a week.

I've also heard of (but never seen) expandable spare tire covers for light stuff. I've thought of a plywood covver to utilize the space inside a big rim, then the normal cover (which I don't have anyway) would cover and hide it. The ammo box under the hood is also a good idea, and I've also got a wheel well left.....

Oh yeah, you can also get Jeep trailers from Coleman Surplus (http://www.colemans.com/).

-Dana

But, Officer, a broadsword is hardly a concealed weapon!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hi
Heres a link for trailers...
http://www.see-seco.com/
i paid abot 300 Bucks i think...im not actually sure but it was very cheap.
The 750 that i just saw on some of those websites..is absurd....they can be had much cheaper...They are very heavy and i would warn that with a full jeep and a 6 cylinder on the trails will be tough but possible. I have one and enjoyed it. Though after a few long trips with it i would have preffered using a home built one or a "camp trailer". hmmm email if ya have any questions...
Seeya....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.