Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well someone went a stole my wife’s minivan and now she wants my S10 Blazer (my daily driver). She thinks I should be one getting a replacement vehicle so I’m thinking.... What’s wrong with another Jeep? NOTHING. It’s just what jeep should I be looking at. YJ, TJ or XJ. I want the smooth ride of the coil spring, A/C, the kind of stuff my CJ7 doesn’t have… What I’m looking for are the Pro’s and Con’s of each model.

78 CJ7 304V8 Fully locked. Got Rocks?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I can tell you both TJ's I've had rode great on the road. Even now with 35's it still rides nicely, a little scary on the overpass doin 65 with all the potholes, but I'm used to it now. The A/C is nice to have as long as you get the 6 cyl. I don't know if you would be able break 35 mph in a 4 banger with a/c/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif. I can't say about the yj's cause i've never even rode in one. All I can say is get the 6 cyl either way you go, especially if you plan on getting one with a/c.
Later
Adam

A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I can tell you that the TJ is a smoother ride than the YJ. But if you already have a CJ 7 to play in then if I were you I would go with the XJ. 4.0L Ac You will not be disapointed. And now is the time to get one, they are going to be getting hard to get your hands on now that they are not being produced anymore.

91 YJ swaped in 4.0L 2 inch lift. (work in progress)

G

·
A minivan? well I have a TJ, and it rides great on the road, better than any YJ I've ridden in. In MY opinion, it does better offroad also. Make sure to get the D44 rear option, the 35 sucks. I have only done a bit of off roading, mainly because it's so new, but it's not afraid of mud, and wants to keep going. Very nice all the way around, and I can't comment on the YJ. i don't have one. But the ones my friends have and I've ridden in/borrowed have driven strange. 4cyl is inadeguate, and In MY opinion the leaf spring doesn't rub me the right way. I also don't like the dashboard layout, but other than that its cool. I mean it IS a jeep.

Give me some fresh air, and give me that farm, give me some time with you in my arms, cause I'm gonna feed my soul, where the black top ends...

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
If it were me I replace it with anohter Jeep, this one... >
Heck, you really don't want payments, do you?

Of course I'd recommend a nice paint job and a diesel engine... but other than that... no one would steal it... and if they did they couldn't figure out how to start it! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Did you accidentally leave the keys in the minivan with the doors open at the local chop shop again?

'88 Wrangler 258 i6,Weber, Rubicon Extreme duty 2.5"

·
Registered
553 Posts
LEVE, is the starter on the floor of the M-715 too????
The thief would probably think it was a light dimmer switch. hehehe.
IF......he was old enough to remember the dimmer switches on the floor.

TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Lucky you! How'd you pull it off?

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wally, I drive an XJ daily and it is quite comfortable.
The added inches in the wheelbase make it ride smoother than a TJ, YJ, CJ.
They are good around town and in the dirt too.
Like everybody else, I have to say get the 4.0L HO.
You will appreciate this option.
My bro has a TJ and it rides nicely too, but the XJ takes the potholes a bit better.
If you are looking for a little bit more comfort and more bells and whistles I would have to say get a ZJ or a WJ.
Both of these vehicles are as capable as the XJ, but they have more features added to them.
Good luck in you hunt for the new Jeep.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a 4 banger w/ AC. But it is a YJ. I will have a TJ someday.

The AC dosen't kill the speed, I mean it's a 4 anyway so I'm not flyin. But it can still hit 70+ while the AC is on. I've only used the AC a few times though.

The ride is bumpy. (no crap.)

Matt

"Jeeps never die, they just fall apart"

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bryan it's easy to find one when you live so close to Mexico. Large families need minivans.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't know there was a difference in the wheelbase. My locked CJ so squally down the road it hard to control, so a longer wheelbase would be nice. I wasn't aware of ZJ's and WJ's and Olin18 said they have stopped production. Are they coming out with a new model, a BJ or something. I want to thank all of you and it looks like it will be a XJ or TJ. I’m thinking of picking up something a couple of years old so I can save a quick $5,000. or more and there will be no 4 banger under the hood. How could I go from a V8 to an I4 and still look at myself in the mirror every morning.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wally, the ZJ's and WJ's are the grand cherokees.
The ZJ's are the first body style and the WJ's are the newest body style of grand cherokee.
Jeep has stopped production on the XJ's (cherokees), but not the Grand Cherokee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts