Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stock 96 GMC K1500 with standerd 245/75/16 on 16X6.5J stock rims on it. i plan on putting a good steal belted mud tire on it and adding a locker to the rear diff. I also only have 3-4" to spare in my garage clearance with my truck cap.
Would 285/16 tires work and give me height clearence I need without rubbing? or do i need to go with 265/16?
I realy do not want to add any type of lift to the truck because I need the clearance.
Any Ideas sugestions would be apreciated
BC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
from what i understand 285/75 are pushing it for a 16x7 stock rim. i don't see how a 1/2" would hurt. some people run 295s and 305s on 16x7 rims and it seems to be ok. i'm not saying it's safe, but it's been done.

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
It all Kinda depends on the truck, how much the t-bars have sagged but normaly 285s will fit on stock wheels withought haveing to do any mods, you could fit them on a 7 or 8" will but then youd more than likely have to do a combination of things, crank the T-BARS nd trim the bottom edge of the fender and the air dam if you have

Im on 16x8s with 285s and 3 something backspacoing I trimed a cranked the bars and still get an acasional rub, but nothing to worry about, I could trim more but Im to lazy, I can live with the ounce aweek rub.

The Kid

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep. same here. i could live with an "ounce" or more of tire rubbin. he he!

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Ive gotten to the point were if there rubbing I dont notice it, maybe they rub more than I think but I dont relize it, na probably they havent left any black marks on the fenders, so I guess ther not, but they do have less than .75' when I turn and Im not joking about how close they are.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
The 285's will fit fine on those rims you mentioned. Probably won't need to trim anything. You may get a little rubbing on the bed sides inside the rear wheel wells under heavy flex, but just ask on here and we can help you fix that.

Your truck would go up about 1-1.5" with 285's.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea man, 285s will be fine on it and you wont have to worry about clearance either

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Does it even matter if the truck is a "Z" or not when it comes to tire size? I thought if there was a height difference it is so little that it doesn't matter.

I don't have a camera but here is my truck minus the lift and brush guard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no expert but my '94 is a Z-71 and the largest tire size I can go is a 285/75/16.....I wouldn't think that the same tire could fit on a stock chevy....but thats just my $0.02 , someone please tell me if i'm wrong..

-Ryan S- 1994 Chevy Z-71 TwoTone Navy/Silver, 33in BFG Mud Terrains. Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust. K&N system. Custom Kenwood/Rockford Fosgate system, two 12" Rockford HE subs.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Doesnt matter at all wether its a Z or not all the Z has over a reg 1/2 ton is the blistiens, and a few plastic skid plates, oh almost for got the Z71 sticker,

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I've been told that the Z71's sit 2" taller than the regular 4x4's. I doubt it. I've also been told that they have 350hp Corvette motors./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Sure.....and I have a bridge in Arizona to sell you for cheap. There's little to no height difference between the two types of Chevy/GMC IFS trucks. 285/75R16 tires will fit fine on any of the stock rims with no trimming. If your torsion bars have sagged you may need to adjust them up slightly.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts