Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I've talked my wife into letting me swap my 31's to her car, and I can get some Superswampers (haven't decided what kind yet). I'd like to go 35's, but that would create too many problems with my axles, etc... So, I'm going 33's...

My question is: what gears do I have? It's a 94, 4.0L, rear D35, f D30... rear has a limited slip locker... I know I just read this... but can't seem to find it.

How hard is it to swap in new gears? TIA!

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
welp this may or may not help, if u open up your diffential on the rear, like take the cover off, it might have it stamped onthe ring gear, the big one, i know chevys sometimes do, i'm not sure about jeeps tho, welp just a thought, i maybe wrong anyone know for sure?
(\/)ikey

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

· Registered
4,520 Posts
you might try looking for a metal tab on the axle.. most have those with the gears stamped onto them.. and i think if you turn your tire one rotation and your yoke spins 4 times.. its like a 4.10.. i think.. i thought i heard this somewhere.. i just could be crazy..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

· Registered
1,134 Posts
The most accurate way to find you gear ratios is to remove the cover and count the pinion gears and divide them into the ring gears, use some white out to remember what gear you started counting at. Can also inspect for wear at this time too. My 88YJ, which had a 4cyl, has stock gears, 37/9 =4.11111111111.....

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The YJ gear ratios are usually stamped fairly clearly on the axle housing itself, look on the cast centersection it shouldent be to tough to find.

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told by Jeep that the YJs with auto tranny came with 3,73s or something like that, and that the ones with standard tranny came with 4.11s. Which one do you have? Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My '94, 4.0L open diff has 3.07 gears stock. This is on the tag bolted to the diff in the rear and front and was confirmed by the jack it up-spin the wheel-watch the drive shaft method. Approximately three turns of the drive shaft to one wheel revolution is a 3.07 R&P.

Non compis mentis./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

· Registered
1,736 Posts
You likely have 3.07s. I think most 6 cyl. YJs came with 3.07s stock, while the 4 cyl. models came with 4.10/4.11, whatever it is, stock. Yes, the "turn the wheels one revolution, count the driveshaft revolution" method works best - don't have to take anything apart.

My 88 YJ came with 3.07s. My method of swapping gears was to swap in axles out of a 4 cyl. YJ with 4.11s. This way you don't have to know how to swap gears, do gear pattern checking (swapping gears is not neccesarily easy, you have to do pattern checking and pressing bearings and stuff - not sure, never done it, but it doesn't sound really easy for a backyard mechanic like me), you can sell your existing axles to recover some of the cost, and you can get lower-mileage axles in the process, if you have a high-mileage Jeep like me. Also, this would be a great time to upgrade your axles, especially that rear axle - why buy new gears for a lighweight axle???

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe that all 4.0L HO YJ's came with 3.07's. I have almost exactly the same set up, but noo LSD, and I have 3.07's. Most dana axles have a tag that's under one of the cover bolts that tells you at minimum the tooth count (ie, 43-14, that would be 3.07). They often tell you the overall ratio as well.

Marc
Get paid to surf the 'net!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 93 YJ with 4.0 and 5-speed came with 3.54 gears. I think the packages that included the upgraded tire size came with the 3.54 - others came with 3.07. The 3.73 thing is a TJ thing - it goes hand-in-hand with the fender wells being opened up so larger tires could be installed without needing a lift. (Well, at least that's what I think.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok.... no #'s on the limited slip tag..

But I did find some #'s stamped into the lower left section (from the back of the car) axle, at the pumpkin.

It states (through the mud/grime I'm reading this!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif 4084... is this possible? I came up with a 4.76 ratio...??? (divide 40 by 84)... Hmmmm.... there's no way, I'm using 3rd sometimes to get up big hills with my 31's, and on my stock tires, I never left 5th...

You guys are never buying axles/R&P's from me! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the skinny on the '94 YJs:
4 Banger = 4.01 standard and 3.73 optional. (I don't know if anybody ever did this but I suppose it's possible.)
6 Banger = 3.07 standard and 3.55 optional. This had to be ordered buy the dealer. Just like all other options. Dealers don't order odd stuff that won't make them more money per sale. This doesn't.

I wouldn't have answered except that you asked about '94...I studied long and hard and analyzed and thought and thought and consulted with a lot of people. And bought 3.55s with the 'slip'. I could not for the life of me figure how to confuse or talk the dealer into getting me a set of 4.10s. I assume that the numbers are also correct for other years, but you know what it means to assume.

sln

P.S.
There will be a tag on the inspection cover bolts that will say what the ratio is and if it is a 'slip' there will be another tag alluding so. Scrape the crud off from them and "read 'em and weep".
sln

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok i changed the differnctial fluid today in my 95 yj 4cyl stick and this is what i read off the tags, the rear has 4.11 gears, the front has 4.10's, and tada here ya go thats what mine has and its the S version for completely stock with no options, until i bought it :)
(\/)ikey

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jon,
my 89 YJ had 3.08 gears, that was with a 6 cyl, 5 speed. the 4 cylinders have 4.11 gears. I run 33" tires with 4.11 gears and like the combo, but I also now run a V8 and T350 tranny. Sometimes I wish I had overdrive. But before the V8 I ran my 6 cyl, 5 speed, with 4.11 gears and 33" tires. I also really liked this setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.