Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 CJ7/258/T-999. I want to swap a T-5 into my Jeep. The T-999 is getting weak and I want to finally have a standard with an overdrive. Do I need to change the front & rear ends to complete the change-over? I don't have a T-5 yet to swap in, I'm trying to find out what this job is going to entail.

Jeepgator

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mike, you might want to reconsider the T5. Its an ok transmission (I have it) and has good gear ranges. I am assuming that you have the Dana 300 transfer case....Hence, it should be a straight swap on the tranny....however, adding the shifter and clutch is another matter. It will be quite a bit of work to get the clutch peddle in. You will also have to install a new flywheel.

Going from an auto to manual is a lot more work than the other direction. Personally, I would keep the auto...in fact, I plan to swap out my T5 with a GM 700R in the near future. That tranny has a great 1st gear and overdrive. Built properly, its as tough as the old TH400. The only expense besides the tranny would be the adapter for the bellhousing and transfer case. I belive its about $450 from Advance Adapters....but don't quote me on it.

Oh...one other thing....before you go to a manual, drive one with a stick on the trails and see if you like it. I have a feeling you will prefer the auto.

Let us know what you decide.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rebuild that 999! Most of us that do any crawling and have manual trannies wish we had autos. Like the previous post, I too have
a T-5 and am probably going to swap in a auto with the new 258 in the fall.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have an extra 999 that from an '86 CJ7 with the 258 that I just took apart. (Im making one jeep from 2, an '85 (primary) & an '86(donor)) It was working fine. I have no idea how you'd get it, but just throwing it out there. Im in western PA, I also have three extra 258 engines, 1 from the '86 and two others that I got when I bought an entire lot of parts from a guy. Send me an email to [email protected] if you're interested. I Also have a boatload of other parts.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
i actually really liked my t-5, but i wanted that auto for the trails and swapped in a tf 727.. i still have the t-5, clutch pedal, everything

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.