Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the stock height for a 1983 CJ-7? Also, what was the stock tire height? I ask because I am planning on buying a lift and don't know what the previos owner(s) did. Right now I have 31's and there is an adequate amount of clearance, but I can't compare to any stock-height Cj's because there aren't that many. I don't want to buy a 2-1/2" lift only to find, that's what I already had. Thanks
Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do believe the vehicle was available from the factory with 27"-29" tires depending on the package. 31s will fit a stock widetrack CJ-7.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I can't give you the measurements at this time, a thunderstorm just moved into the area. My Jeep lift is bone stock, if not a littel saggy, on 31's. Check my the link to my website. It has a good picture. The top most picture has the rear passenger dropped in a little hole. So the drivers rear shows more space than would be normal.
http://bfeller.home.mindspring.com/

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
My 85 cleared 31's no problem stock.
Just like the above post if you want to see a pic go to the pics page and the top ones are pretty bone stock with 31's.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 82 is a little light right now with the hood off and the seats and roll bar out. I've been doing some painting. Anyway, measuring from the floor to the bottom side of the rocker where the fender bolts on is 21 5/8". My tires are 30x9.5 BFG's and put the front hub 13 7/8" off the floor. The front springs which I replaced last year cause they were saging are supposed to be stock 7 leaf springs and my front shackel is 3.5" bolt to bolt which I believe is stock.

In the back, the tub floor height is 28 3/8", but that will be alot higher than normal since the tub is currently bare.

I checked my 84 AMC book and there isn't much usefull info in their spec table.
They give Overall Height - Open Body 70.9", Soft Top 71.9", Hard Top 71.0"
Step Height - Front 27.1" No idea where they're measuring that from.
Cargo Floor Height 26.7"
Of course they don't say which tires they're using for these dimensions.
They spec'ed metric sizes of 205/75R15 and 215/75R15.
The theoretical diameter of the 215/75R15 would be 27.7" if I did the math right, but actual diameter will be a less, just like my 30" tires don't put my front hubs 15" off the floor.

One other thing, there is a Service bulletin in the back of the 84-85 AMC Book that deals with spring identification. They give part numbers for each of the spring options "Soft Ride", "Standard", and "Heavy Duty". So if there is a number stamped into the bottom leaf that looks like 536 3229 or 536 3332 post the number and I'll see if it's listed in the table.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be easier to measure from the top of the front axle tube to the frame where the axle stop is. On my 82 I have 6.0". The picture should show where I'm measuring from.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, looking at all of your cj's, it looks like I don't have anything but a shackle lift. The springs are six leaf front and rear and the wraps have "RR" written on them. Hole-to-hole the shackles are 5" so it looks like I have a 3/4" total lift. Thanks for all of the help!

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i believe my 85 cj-7 to be stock, and the factory shackles are only 3 inches center hole to center hole hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the inside of the glove compartment of my 85 CJ7 it says that the stock tires are 225's. I just got this jeep last fall with 35,000
original miles on it (& he only had 205's on it) really wimpy. It had been sitting & collecting rust for a while. I attached a pix that I took a couple days after I got it. I would measure the height for you, but we have it all ripped apart now (tub off & everything).

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Rick that looks about like mine when I got it. I always said mine should have had a Barney Fife light to deliever the mail.LOL /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.