Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some recommendations on the best way to remove the plactic coating on my stock cj chrome rims. The plastic is flaking off and looks like crap.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif A good way to always be able to spell some of those chemical derivitives is to use this method: Acetylene is "Ace" "Tylene" and Acetone is "Ace" Tone". Learned that from making out a zillion Purchase Orders for cylinders of acetylene from the welder's supply./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif That's when every thing I owned had holes burned in it./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Now I only weld on Jeeps./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You see, elusive, Dave had a bug about spelling a few months ago, and he WILL NOT let you get away with it. But, while I'm at it,
Dave, it's YOKE not yolk! /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks like the jolk's on you, Dave.

D-O-O-O-H-H-H-H.......

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried a little spot with fingernail polish remover/acetone and it didn't seem to work very well. It only made the plastic softer instead of dissolving it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can try to heat it with a torch, and see if it will peel away. Just dont get too close to the chrome or it will start to blue. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
If we're going to get into a spelling bee, I'm outta here. Does remind me though of a guy I was in the
service with. His girl back home was an english major. She sent his best love letters back with
spelling, grammar and punctuation corrections. Now that's cold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depends on what type of paint stripper. For the most part chrome is pretty tuff stuff, you might try a water soluble paint stripper or maybe some aircraft finish remover. Just dont get the stuff on your skin. I think you should try to heat it up a little and see if it will just flake off. I actually dont do much re-chroming, but I do alot of chrome work and I think that heat my be something to try. Just be careful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dave, i just used paint stripper on my rims last weekend and it worked great.
went to home depo and got a quart of the strong stuff and scrubbed it off with a scrubrush. wear gloves had to repeat a second time to get it all off
it didn't hurt the chrome a bit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remeber my first experience using acetone. I was using it to take off some paint, had gloves on and all, but I poured it in a plastic container so I coud dip a sponge and brush in it. Very dumb. The acetone ate its way through the plastis and before I knew it I was standing in a puddle of acetone and it had already started working its way through my shoes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.