Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tring to get the front bumper off my YJ. I stripped out the head on the last bolt. How do I get this off now? Oh yeah, I still need my bumper.

Thanks.

Matt

Give me DUCT TAPE or give me death.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Been there. I got one off by cutting a slot in it and using a large flat bladed screwdriver and another I had to grind down almost flush and then chisled off the head.

BMB

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
I've had some luck driving a socket type allen into it. If that or and all of the other suggestions fail, you can use an ez-out. If you have a reversible drill and can get a reverse bit, it may come out while drilling. Drill before you grind the head off so you will have something to center the bit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. got to love the curse of the torx.

Matt

Give me DUCT TAPE or give me death.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I recently did the same operation.

For the top bolts I had the tow-hooks, so I ground the heads off, pulled the tow-hooks off, and then had about an inch of stud looking thing left sticking up.
I then ground down two opposite sides, and used an adjustible wrench on it.

For the bottom ones, one had already fallen out (don't ask me how. When you want them in they fall out, when you want them out they stay in) The other one doesn't have enough sticking up for me to grind enough material off to get an adjustable wrench around it.
I tried welding it but I think I just welded it to the frame.

Going to try and grind the rest of it out and then try the reverse drill bit method.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif No sweat! Just set a nut on top of that torx bolt that just fits down over it. Then take the wire welder and get the wire down in there and with plenty of heat, build up the weld from the bottom till the nut is completely filled and cherry red hot. THEN.....go pester your Jeepchick for several hours while the whole welded assembly SHRINKS BACK FARTHER THAN IT WAS, and you'll be able to back that sucker right out of there./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts