Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my front end is still screwed up. When I hit small dips in the road, it feels like the vehicle wants to do some off-roading in the woods or with oncoming traffic. It has gotten so bad I am almost scared to drive it during heavy traffic. When I break, I have to hold onto the wheel tight or else it will go wherever it wants. My steering wheel also has a lot of play and shakes a bit. Could this be the wheel bearings? Ball Joints? Do I need to put more tension on the torsion bars?

I have added Stiffer torsion bars and a Moog Idler arm, but it doesn't seen to do much. I should add that I have the Trailmaster lift on it and a 100 pound steel bumper (if that makes a difference.) Also, I have Rancho 9000's turned up to the stiffest setting.

How can I cure this Nightmare so I can sell it? (need to get something with a solid front axle)

'91 Pathfinder heavily modified

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you have checked all the steering linkages like tie-rods etc, then it may well be your ball joints and if there gone it's probably a pretty good idea to tighten your wheel beerings also or replace if needed. The tension on the torsion bars won't or shouldn't effect your steering, another possbility is your CV-joints and bushings.

Just some possibilities to check into????

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Remember God forgives "ROCK'S DON'T" /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also go over any and all bolts that were used in the lift and make sure those are tight. With the TM kit moving all that stuff down it could be a bracket that is loose. I personally don't trust the kit itself, Mark always had problems with his, he could never get it to align or stop shimmying.

- Tim
- [email protected]
- Far East 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was the wheel bearings that are lose how long would they last? I always thought they were very delicate, too tight and they
melt themselves to the spindle, too lose and they tear themselves apart.

Bernie
'86 720 "The Stain"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts