Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STILL can\'t get clutch to disengage

O.K. here is what I have:
79 Scout T19(with a jeep T-18 input shaft), 81 T-176 bellhousing, 82-86 Diaphram style stock jeep clutch(with the disk in the right way), The release arm, and throw out bearing are the correct style for the clutch. This is all going on a 401. I cannot get the clutch to disengage at all, I took a come-along and pulled the arm back until it hits the bellhousing then cranked the engine and it still won't even slip. I hope one of you guys has an idea, because I am out of them. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Re: STILL can\'t get clutch to disengage

Have you pulled the transmission to see what might be wrong? I think we ran out of ideas on the last post.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes 3 times... I switched to a diaphram style after the last post.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts

Someone from this board (name witheld to avoid ridicule
) just went thru similar stuff whilst R&R'ing the clutch in his 258/T18 combo. After the first install he initially found the bushing in pieces. The pilot bushing was either too small or was damaged due to misalignment when mating the mainshaft back up. The second was found to be the wrong ID. Seems there are multiple ID/OD combos used with AMC/T18(?). By the third go-round, I think the concensus was to check the bushing on the mainshaft (tranny) before installation and support the tranny very well when mating the bellhousing to the block.
On the bright side, he got a KILLER upper body workout pulling the tranny & TC 3 times in one week. Next day his engine crapped out though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Did you check the outside diameter of the clutch plate? I bought a clutch kit. The kit was for my 88 4.2 ltr. the problem was that the clutch disk was the wrong size. it was too big in diameter and got caught on the pressure plate flanges where they bolted to the flywheel. I had to wait till the next day to get the right one. good luck
Keith

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I can understand what you mean about the workout. I am on my fourth time. Those things are not light!!!

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts

It doesn't sound like you're gonna get out of this easy. The only thing to do now is to pull the tranny one more time. Leave the bellhousing in place, have someone depress the clutch pedal and make sure the clutch is loose, watch where you put your fingers in case he lets up on the pedal. If it passes this test you will have to pull the clutch and pressure plate, reinstall the transmission and bellhousing and check for binding. Pilot bushing too small, pilot bushing not completely seated, input shaft too long.

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but I don't see any other way out.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Bad pressure plate. I can't remember from your previous thread if the pressure plate was new or not. But, just cause it's new, doesn't mean it can't be the source of the problem. How many folks out there have purchased a new part, just to figure out that it's broke/no good?

Had my pressure plate fail within the past year. I made up an adjustable push rod for the hydraulic clutch, adjusted the sucker till the fork hit the bellhousing (sound familiar?), and started it up in one last effort before tearing it apart - still wouldn't release.

Only other thoughts are the disc is not designed to work with the pressure plate you have, ie. the disc is too thick/mismatched parts. And that may not be your fault - how many times have we bought parts that didn't come in a sealed box/package? Maybe someone repackaged the components at the parts store when several clutch kits were opened and on the counter?

Just doing some brainstorming - good luck to ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.