Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any trouble with transmissions from a 95 Pathfinder 5 speed? When I first start out, the tranny is stiff and difficult to shift to 2nd. Its not cold here so thats not it. This is our 2nd Pathfinder and the first one didn't do this. Any other problems with the drivetrain that anyone has noticed? Just trying to figure how much $$ to save for the repairs. Thanks.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The 5-speed in my '96 is hard to shift from 1st-2nd for the first couple of shifts in the morning. Mostly it's due to the oil settling in the bottom of the transmisson. The oil is slung into the syncronizers when you start moving. Heavy weight gear oil can also make it hard to shift. My solution was to use 3 quarts of 85-90w gear oil with 1 quart of Mobil 1 full synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It works great and it makes it very easy to shift especially in the colder months. I know a Nissan tech that told me this story. When people would bring there truck in with this complant they would change the gear oil to 5w-50 motor oil! I wouldn't recommend this at all. Also, some manual transmissions actually require nothing but ATF. Anyway, I would suggest changing your gear oil to 85-90w. If it's still stiff, suck out a quart and add a quart of ATF. Let us know what happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Thump! I'll try full synthetic in the weight you mentioned the next time I change the gear lube. Again, thanks.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard of the combo that thump mentions, but I prefer to use a regular synthetic. I have had much succes with Redline products. You could use either MTL (the one I use) or MT-90. Either should greatly improve your shift action. Check out their site at www.redlineoil.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading all the accolades for their products on the T*y*ta page, I put Redline MTL (Manual Transmission Lube) in our '88 runner. Quite a noticeable improvement in shifting ease, even though I later found out I should have put in a product called MT90 which is a true 90 weight. I will put the correct stuff in soon.

I had the tranny on my '85 720 rebuilt at about 125,000 miles; and plan to put MT90 in it soon, as its still a little bit glitchy going into 2nd. Check out Redline's website, it's quite informative. And don't make the mistake of putting their regualr 75/90 gear oil in your tranny- it's too slick and will cause gear clash. Its for transfer cases and diffs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts