Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my Jeepchick daughter's DD and naturally she has to have some tunes to go with the cool breeze blowin thru. I wanted to make it as secure and functional as tunes can be in a CJ.

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/rockncj/slideshow?.dir=/JaxJeep&.view=t

Whatchall think?

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Looks good. One thing I would recommend is to spray the inside of the tub and wood with rubberized undercoating to limit vibrations. Use a drying type (some aren't and stay gooey) and put a couple coats on. It's cheaper than stuff made specially for this application (sound deadner's), and works just as good.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did cover the whole thing with a nice heavy coat of paint prior to the final install. Hope this holds up to the rain.

for a little security

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You should be fine, the only problems I had back when I did installs was in my K5 blazer with the top off all the time. The carpet would get wet and soak into the wood, eventually warping it. I started putting my top on when it rained, and started building enclosures out of fiberglass.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fiberglass would be cool. I hadn't done allot of fabrication in glass. Do you build in wood and then cover with glass, or do the glass over a mold?

for a little security

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I did alot of custom enclosures per vehicle that were mainly all glass. I have built some that are both and built some out of wood, then covered them with the resin w/o cloth. A cool trick if you want a large flat piece of fiberglass is to get an old piece of glass (real glass like a window), wax it (or vaseline) then put your cloth/ mat on it and resin it. When it cures pull it off and you have large flat pieces of glass that can be cut as needed.
Fiberglass work needs to be done in a well ventilated area, and can get messy. Once you have learned to work with it you can do some neat things.

pbm

·
Registered
935 Posts
a buddy of mine makes custom enclosures and he just uses cardboard to make the shape and then resin and cloth. They are some tough boxes when done and waterproof.

A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
get some clear resin stuff... they use on bar's... and put several coats on the wood... will keep it from getting water damage.. i built a bar several years ago.. held up great.. and it was outside.. can find it at home depot, lowes.. what have you..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
What are your dimension's of that inclosure? I am thinking of building something similar in mine.

78 CJ7 "Issues"

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd have to bust out the tape again.
Just got with it, tape, skill saw and what not. Was really pretty easy. I used 1x1 alyoumeneum angle down the inside of each fender well. I was really kinda shocked how rock solid it turned out. I got up and danced a jig on top of it! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
I like the idea of coating it in resin. That way, when the Jeep rusted and long gone, we still can sit back and sip a cold one listening to a little Stevie Ray ripping out out some Little Wing. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

for a little security

G

·
I used fiberglass resin inside and out of my box.When the resin on the outside dried, I sanded it a little and brushed on some left over herculiner. Also, I used liquid nail to hold it together.

TOMMY PARKER

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That looks nice!I wouldn't want to sacrifice my whole backseat though /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Uhmm..nice looking jeepdaughter too haha /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif
Please..don't kill me..but I wish there were chicks with jeeps like that at my school.

Its four wheel drive and naked women what more do you want?
-Dirt Dog
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts