Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hooking up a Kenwood CD deck my friend gave me, but I don't know where some of the wires go. I understand the Amp and speaker wires, but what I have left are a black wire, a red wire, and a yellow wire with a 10 amp fuse in it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Black is ground
Red is keyed power
Yellow is continuous power

I recommend adding a fuse in the red line if it doesn't have one. You can use a tester to locate keyed and continuous power sources. Connect the black wire to some metal on the chassis, scuff the paint so that you have a good bare metal connection.

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 32"BFG MT, Durabak On-Board Air

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just a quick note to add this...
that yellow wire is probably just to keep your clock and station presets going when the key is not on. that being the case, you definitly do not want a 10 amp fuse in there. if memory serves, all the units i've installed have come with a 2 or 3 amp fuse in that wire, with a 10 i would worry about the possibility of a fire.

jimbo

'74 CJ5,232 I6,T15,Dana 30&44

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a note, many of the newer receivers are only using the red - keyed power - wire for current sensing. The unit itself runs on the yellow - constant power - line. This helps to eliminate some of the noise from the ignition, and lets the unit power itself up and down instead of abrupty loosing power. Let the insides last longer and be more presise. In any case, The yellow wire may need a fuse between 10 and 20 amps, or if it is truly a "memory-only" line, a 3 amp would do fine. Just remember, the fuse is there NOT to protect the equipment, but to protect the VEHICLE. Adding a larger fuse won't CAUSE more current to flow, it just sets a limit on how much current is safe. You might be able to tell by looking at the wire. Most of the newer Kenwoods are using a harness where the Yellow is visibly thicker than the red. These are the units I'm talking about that use the red only to tell the receiver when the key is on, but not for powering the tuner/player/ or amp. All other functions are supplied by the yellow wire. If thats the case, I'd use a 15amp fuse. If it's high power, it may blow the 15. If so, replace it with a 20. If the 20 blows though, there may be problems elsewhere. If the red is visibly larger than the yellow, ignore what I just said, and se a 3amp fuse on the yellow and a 15amp on the red. This is probobly mroe than you wanted to hear - like CJDave says, you asked what time it was and I gave you directions for building a clock. But work is slow today, and quite frankly, I kinda bored. Sorry if this didn't help, but happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.