Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys quick question, what is the easiest way to pull the steering wheel off off the steering column? it seems like the PO really tightened the heck out of the bolt..i've tried the regular auto parts steering wheel puller as well. as if it is actually pressed on the splines.. any help would be appreciated...i have been going nuts trying to get this thing off. thanks agian in advance

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just in case, check for some spot welds.. Soak it good with liquid wrench or other rust buster type product. When using a wheel puller make sure it is a good one so it does not break and fly into your face. When you reall have a lot of tension on the puller try a good hammer blow to the back side of the steering wheel. The other choice is to hit the center puller bolt with a sharp blow. Had some stuff over the years that really was on tight even had to use heat from a torch to get some items loose.

·
Registered
484 Posts
lol, reminds me, i never did get my wheel off(and i have a nice grant wheel to put on...), got the nut off no prob, tried all kinds of tricks to break the splines loose to no avail....currently on year 6 with no nut holding wheel on....ruined the threads and waiting till i can get a new column

course on my '74, the shaft is basically a piece of pipe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
After you soak the splines, then sit in the driver seat. Grasp the steering wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Then sharply pull up using only one arm. Put your weight into it! Then do the same with the other arm. Alternate back and forth and soon the steering wheel will break loose and come off.

·
Registered
737 Posts
STOP!!!
Dont hit it with a hammer. tried that with an XJ the force transfered to teh steering box, it started leaking right after that... Also when you are pulling at 3 & 9 o'clock I broke my seat back off on my CJ... Be carfull. I know that my steering box didnt leak befor adn may of just needed a little help to go start leaking. As for the seat yes it was rusty but arnt they all. BE CAREFUL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts