Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the last thing preventing me from removing the tub and I cant get the steering shaft to come off.

Am I missing something.... I loosened the collars at the top and the one at the bottom where it attaches to the steering gear.

Any suggestions...

Larry 85CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had to use a big screw driver, a stanly bar, and a hammer to pry it loose at the bottom. It took a lot of time and muscle. Be carefull not to damage any splines when prying. I had to get me father to pull on the shaft from the top while pushed on it from the bottom to get it off. I recomend that you add a little bit of grease to it before putting it back on. You never know when you will need to take it off. Just be persistant.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
328 Posts
Make sure you take the bolts out! They fit in a groove and it won't come apart if the bolt is still in it. I have always had to whack them with a hammer to get them to come apart.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While you have it off why don't you upgrade to a new shaft from borgeson and get one of their vibration dampaners. The hammer is for getting the bolts out of the collar. Also I have taken the collars off so they wouldn't get in the way of prying, but its not needed. Thanks loosenut for telling him about the bolts; I forgot to say what the hammer was for.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Steering Shaft removal...thanks

Loose, Tim....

Thanks fellas. It was the bolts! I had not removed them from the clamps, I had just loosened them up. Came off quite easily....no hammer needed.

I think I will look into one of the aftermerket shafts. How much do they run roughly?

Thanks again,

Larry 85CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Steering Shaft removal...thanks

I have a Borgeson shaft from Four Wheel Drive Hardware for $229.99 plus shipping. I however needed an adapter from Borgeson since I have a Chevy column. The traded me U-joint and had it to me the next day. Also I decided to get a vibration dampner from them to smooth the steering some. Check out their web site for more information on it: www.borgeson.com

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.