Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
85 CJ7, new AGR Super Box II and Super Pump.
There seems to be some strange thing happening to my steering. When making a sharp turn, like a street corner, etc., the steering doesn't want to come back to center and often keeps pulling in the direction turned. Sometimes after making the turn and trying to compensate for the pull, the jeep suddenly goes the other direction. I had a similar problemproblem like this last summer when I discovered that one of the split washers on the steering box mount had broken and the steering box was moving. However this time it seems to be tight. The ball joints seem to be good, I don't find any play in the tie rods, etc. Could a bad steering damper be causing this? The damper is a Rancho that's about 4 or 5 years old. I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out what is causing this.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I know that on a stock CJ gear box there is an adjustment screw to adjust exactly what you are describing. If it is adjusted too far, the wheels won't straighten back up after cornering. May check in to it.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
168 Posts
Considering that you just replaced the gear, you may have air in the system that needs to be bled. Jack up the front, fill the reservoir, and run the steering lock to lock a whole bunch of times. You might also have a friend turn the wheel while you look for any problems...ie. steering gear to column misalignment, binding linkage, kinks in hoses, pump pressure, etc...

Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.