Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I ahve an 85 CJ7. I've got a 3-4" lift on it with 33" tires.

I've noticed a klunking noise when I turn.

I think I've narrowed it down to some steering linkage rubbing against the front dif cover. It hits hard enough to take a bit of paint off, but doesn't appear to denting it at all.

Should I be concerned with this noise?

If so, what do I need to do to fix this problem?

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
You should be concerned because if it hits hard enough it could put a small bend in the tierod, which would significantly weaken it.

To fix it you can adjust the stops out on the steering knuckles. There is a bolt and locknut on each knuckle that hits against the yoke at full steering lock. You need to back them out until the tierod no longer hits the diff.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

This knocking of the tie rod to the dif cover occurs during minor turns...ie the steering wheel doesn't not have to be turned very far one way or the other to get it to happen...less than 1/2 a turn i think.

will, changing the steering stops correct this and still allow me to turn?

Patrick

G

·
If you adjust your steering stops to that the knocking stops, then I don't think you will be making any turns........

You need to solve the problem. Have a budy turn the wheel while you watch the front end. You will be amazed at how many problems you can find doing this......

Is it by any chance the steering stabilizer bracket hitting the diff? If so, either rotate it out of the way or cut the U-bolts shorter if they are the ones hitting it.

Otherwise, I don't know of anything that can hit the diff.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think I'd be more concerned about why the steering linkage was hitting the dif cover..Only way it should do that is if something is bent or broken, very bad thing!
Keith

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Yeah, sounds like your tie rod is bent.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I'm really shocked at how thin the stock tie rods are. They are paper thin! No wonder they bend so easy. If it's hitting what it's not supposed to hit, it must be bent - even a little. Being bend it'll fail soon.

Best to go with something much stronger, Poison Spider, Currie etc has stronger ones. Do it before "the big accident."

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the function of a steering stabalizer?

Why would someone put one on in the first place?

What would happen if I just took mine off (which would eliminate the rubbing)?

Thanks
Patrick

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
It is on there from the factory. I took mine off years ago. It will be fine without it as long as your steering parts are in proper condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts