Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STEERING GEARBOX\'S

I HAVE A 1977 CJ5,WITHOUT POWERSTEERING,I ALSO HAVE A POWER STEERING
GEARBOX FROM A 1980 J-10,WILL THIS WORK FOR MY UPGRADE?THANX ALOT.

jsjps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: STEERING GEARBOX\'S

You'll need a lower steering shaft to match the splines on the box. That is all i know but may get you started. It should be the same box as the wagoneer and I've heard those work great. I think elusive or jeepgod is running that setup.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,520 Posts

yes i am running a wagoneer box.. and i have a yj frame with the mount for the stock box.. it bolted right up.. was sweet.. so i would imagine that they all do... and like noted above.. you will need the lower part of the shaft for the splines to line up... or you could just modify it.. cut a bit out of the sleeve that goes on it.. and spread it open enough to put it on.. and then tighten the bejesus out of it.. Elusive has done that.. but we havent road tested it yet..it turns the tires sitting still.. and there is way more torque on it then than going down the road. so pray for him.. i wont ride in it until the bugs are worked out of it.. hehe..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You will also need different mounting brackets than what come with the manual steering gear, the power steering brackets are different.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts

just a hint, don't use a wrangler steering box, use the one from the J-10.. the wranglers have smaller splines at the box, but EVERY jeep power steering box ever made bolts the same.. i just put my cj-7 box on my tj frame

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.