Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything is finally fixed on my CJ7 except the steering box. It always had a small leak, and a little slop, but lately it's been leaking like a siv.
Is this a saginaw box, and can I replace it with anything from a junk yard, or do I need to get the $200-300 replacement from 4Wheel Drive Hardware, etc.
All suggestions needed! I'm going through a quart of power steering fluid every few days.

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hey Jed,

I had the same problem on my CJ, and replaced it with an AGR SBII. You can get them for $350 at http://www.jimsoffroadwarehouse.com. It drives like a dream now, super tight, no slop, very responsive. I like it so much I'm also replacing my stock pump (no problems currently) with an AGR just to see what it will do.

In the way of a junkyard core, I've heard tell of using a Cadillac box, but not sure what's involved. Do a search here or over at http://www.pirate4x4.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4 to see if you can find the person who did the swap.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I put a caddy box on my jeep and it was a bolt on deal except grinding a small tit off the steering output shaft on the box. I got my rebuilt box at O'Rileys for $125 and it comes with a life time replacement. Order one for a 1976 Coupe Deville. The caddy box used the flare type hoses like on my 79, later jeeps used the o-ring hoses, easy to swap over. The caddy box has the bigger piston like the AGR and it makes my jeep steer really nice. A great swap for me!

Its a Ford, Chevy, Scout, Caddy sort of a thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. I won't go the junk yard route now; maybe I'll check into a Caddy swap, though. That might be easy to get here in the midwest. Will definatly look into getting a new one, though. Mine has play all over the place.

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.