Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to ask you all a question have any of you had the steering box crack the frame and if so what did you do about it and is it a need to be fixed right now or a can waite a week or two. Sould i just weld the crap out of it and it be ok. The crack is from the lower bolt hole around the lower part of the frame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know much about it, but i have heard of the problem, and as far as i know that only happens if you go bigger than stock tires, or supposed to. I have also come across reenforcement plates for that on planty of occasions.

Will work for mods
Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fix it ASAP. It will PROBABLY hold for a long time, but steering is one of those items you do not want to fool around with. They make a patch plate for that portion of the frame (common problem) as well as a steering brace (I got mine from Offroaddesign) to help prevent it from happening (or in your case happening again). I installed it on my rig before it was able to crack and have not had a problem even with bigger tires, a front locker, and plenty of abuse.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scab it, weld it, forget it, we have broken several ranch trucks in the same spot (fords are a lot easier to break than chevy); they have all held up good after the repair and theyre hauling a 2000 lb feed box behind the cab going thru some rough sh!+
c-ya Ronny

I drive a CUMMINS, therefore I am

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.