Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in a recent post where someone mentioned that YJ steering boxes were interchangeable with XJ/ comanche ones. I was wondering if anyone knows if the late 70's CJ power steering boxes are interchangeable with any other makes/models. I'm planning on taking mine off soon to see if it can be adjusted, but i'm not holding out a lot of hope, and would like to have some other options.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
There are two areas of difference. There is a large-spline input shaft and a small-spline shaft. And some boxes have flare hydraulic fittings and some use O-ring fittings. From '76? on they all have the same mounting bolt pattern and pitman shaft spline.

Either difference is easy to get around, but must be addressed. IMO if the box is worn out, you're best off to buy a new or rebuilt one for your vehicle, unless you can find a very low-mileage one from a wreck.

Also, it was recently mentioned in a post here that the full-size Jeep steering boxes are larger, but still have the same mounts. If I were to put anything but an exact replacement in, I would go with a larger box. The stock one has needed adjustment every 15K to 20K miles since my Jeep was new. I think it's marginal in strength for the application.

And on the subject of adjustment, the only way to do it properly is on the bench. You're kidding yourself if you try to do it on the vehicle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Jim, I was actually going to use one of your write-ups, along with the chilton book for reference when I try this. I doubt this has ever been adjusted. It's a 78 which i've had since the early 90's, and i've never attempted it.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
It's probably NEVER been adjusted, so it should make a world of difference. If you have PowerSteering.doc, that's straight out of the '78 FSM. Can't get better than that. I'll attach it to this post, just for grins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim, one more question, if you don't mind. Do you remember where you got the spanner wrench for this? Did you just make one from an old socket? The only one I know where to get is the one for the ball joints.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I've never used a spanner wrench. There are two holes in the face of the plug. I put a pin punch in one hole and put a big honking screwdriver between the pin punch and the worm shaft. Tightening the plug takes very little torque.

However, a year or so back I got an adjustable spanner that I'll use the next time. I don't remember where I got it, but it wasn't very expensive - $10 to $15 would be my guess. Call around to hardware stores and the like, and ask for an adjustable face spanner wrench. I think it has 1/4" pins.

Heck, it wouldn't take much to make a wrench. Drill two holes in a piece of 1/4" flat stock, drill a big hole for the worm shaft, weld a short piece of 1/4" drill rod in each hole and you're done.

More important and expensive is the torque wrench. You want a beam-type inch-pound tool, and that will set you back $50 or $60. Try to borrow one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info, i'm looking forward to getting some of the play out of my steering.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
They dont all have the same bolt pat. Some have 3 bolts and like my setup I have 4.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Years ago when I rebuilt one, I cut out a piece of plexiglass (1/2" thick) to fit a 2-1/2" socket. Then I drilled two holes in it and put machine screws in for pins. Last I drilled a large hole for the shaft to fit through. IIRC, there is a torque spec for that adjuster to be tightened to which is why I made a socket type.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the idea, i'm probably going to have to build one also. I was able to borrow the torque wrench easily enough, but I can't find a spanner wrench anywhere around here.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
They dont all have the same bolt pat. Some have 3 bolts and like my setup I have 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, the pattern is the same, but the later tj/xj boxes do only have 3 mounting tabs

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
the later tj/xj boxes do only have 3 mounting tabs

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the fourth tab interfere with anything on the TJ's and XJ's? I guess that if it did, a grinder and wafer wheel would fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts