Off Roading Forums banner

Steering box brace

327 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Dirt Dog
with the connecting rod only (not welded)
Grind the area between the rod and cap.Use yor judgement 3/16 did mine
, just make it so that it will tighten down. (I did not have to use longer bolts due to the grinding)

Get an appoxement length of the tubing. You will want several inches of connecting rod to go into the tube.
I don't have an exact lenght of the tube because I think it will very where you mount it.
Tubing OD1" --ID3/4"
Heat 2 to 3 " of the tube and hammer (smash) almost flat.
Take connecting rod cut the small end (piston end) off (leave at least4 to 5 ")
Off the section you just cut off grind 2 to 3 " flat (it's shaped like an I).
Heat the tubing up again (that you smashed shut) and push(hammer) the connecting rod into it.
Once in place Tach weld. Remove and finish welding.
While hot (red) bend to fit the angle (up) to the frame.

#3 grind a groove for the gusset in steering box if yours has one. (you will need to do this on the earlier steps to fir it if it has one)
I hope this helps. It's just half a$$ directins at best. Let the pictures do the talking.
If you have any more questions feel fee /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif (oh I mean free) to ask. It's worked good for me.
Best of luck!

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
#2 pic

Attachments

See less See more
#3 pic

Attachments

See less See more
G
Hey Dirtdog nice idea, I noticed the pictures are DCP...that would mean Kodak digital camera....love mine, how you like yours??

Chris
[email protected]
http://www.extreme-jeepin.com
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif An inventive way to upgrade without downgrading the finances! Nice setup DD! By the way, what rod is that? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.
See less See more
Sorry.......
It's a chevy 350 rod. I guess it wpould have helped if I would have told that./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifDUH!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
Any more things I left out or questions , just ask./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
As for the camara...it's a buddies. I did work pretty good and easy.
Those pics were taken in the driveway of his house in the dark last night.
Note the white object in the foreground , it's a flashlight so I could see what to take a picture of. Not too shabby in the dark , huh?

See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.