Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I've gotta be doing something wrong. I'm working on a 78 CJ with power steering. I've got the box off and am trying to adjust the worm bearing preload, but cannot get the adjuster plug or the locknut to budge. I realize this probably hasn't been moved since 78, but from other responses I thought this should move a lot easier. Could somebody tell me which one should loosen first? Are these reverse threads? I fabbed up a spanner wrench out of plate and rod, but all that happened was the rod bending and the holes on the adjuster starting to elongate. I got a 2 3/4 inch socket for the locknut, but no progress there either. I've been spraying it with blaster, but I'm reluctant to use heat cause I'm afraid of melting a seal or o-ring. I also removed the snap ring, but it didn't make any difference. It looks like the lock nut nut is threaded onto the adjuster plug body, but which of these should loosen first? Thanks for any input, this is another one day project that turned into a weeklong nightmare.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, Leve. I'm a little confused (nothing new) but all the manuals say this has to be done off the vehicle.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
You loosen the locknut first, then the adjuster plug. They are right-hand threads. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. And you're right about the heat - Don't!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the locknut finally broke loose (can't believe how stuck it was)the plug is being a little stubborn yet,but i'm finally making some headway. hopefully i'll get to road test this weekeng. thanks again, Jim.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
If you can't move the plug, tap vigorously against the side of the housing all the way around plug, as if you're trying to drive the outside threads into the plug. That should break it loose.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It finally came loose. I cleaned up the threads pretty good, so hopefully next time it won't be such a pain. I should be able to try this out tomorrow, along with putting on the new steering box brace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts