Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

One of My CJ`s has a problem starting, the starter motor spins when I turn the key but it doesn`t catch. this happens 4 or 5 times until it eventually catches and starts.

I`ve taken the starter motor off and inspected it and it seems fine I wondered if any of you guys could shed some light on the problem.

I`m about to sell this CJ to help finance the rebuild of my other CJ so I don`t want to spend too much money on it.
Does anyone know what this problem is and how easy or hard (expensive) is it to solve.

Cheers.

Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Which CJ are you inquiring about, the 82 or the 79? I'd be voting on one of these possibilities:

1. The over-run clutch on the drive gear is bad. Check to see if the drive gear has slop, and can roll in BOTH directions. If it can, it's bad.

2. The bendix is not throwing out the gear to engage the flywheel. Take the motor out and have it bench tested to see if the bendix is operatioal... over about 20 starts. That drive gear should be thrown out each and every time.

3. The starter is not shimmed properly. A FOMOCO style starter may need an occasional shim to allign the drive gear and flwheel teeth. You can use washers, and figure out easily if it is an alingment problem. Once you confirm it is, HELP products makes a nice little FOMOCO spacer, at about $7.00... you may need two!

4. Bad flywheel. Pull the starter and manually advance the flywheel to observe the teeth. Are any Borken or ground down? If so... replace the starting ring.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hi Nick,

I'd put my money on the Bendix.. I had that on one of my previous Jeeps. I took the starter to an automotive electrical repairshop over here in Crawley and they charged me around £30 to repair it.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leve has done another excellent job of describing the most likely problems. This has happened to me a couple times on different CJ's and it was the flywheel teeth. Had to change the ring gear (or flip it to keep the cost down). My .02.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Leve,

Thanks for the good advice (as always). It was the 79 BTW. I`ll take it to my friends garage and play around with it.

At least we`re getting some sun over here at last, it gives me an excuse to get out and get some sun on my bones, and I can finally stick the hardtop in the garage.

Hey Hooch good to hear from another Brit, we`re abit thin on the ground around here. I`m sure you know how hard it is to get parts and decent jeep mechanics over here. I`ve been to your site a few times (even found Leve there) and found lots of helpful advice, Cheers.

As for the tub I give Paul at PMD a call I`ve dealt with him before (as you probably know we`re not really spoilt for choice over here) and he seemed like a nice guy.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Cheers.

Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thin on the ground?? There are loads of Jeepers over here.. Btw, there is another bloke I know with a CJ in London... He lives in Ealing W3.. Funny one.. He's from New Zealand and at the moment spending an absolute fortune on his CJ.

Are you aware of the All Fours Jeep Club? http://www.jeepclub.co.uk

Where about do you live in London? I live not far from London myself (East Grinstead).

Hooch

·
Registered
729 Posts
Oops, The penny finally dropped!! You mean on this board don't you? Best place to be if you ask me... These are all great guys and if you've got a problem, you can count on it that you will have at least some answers and often very good ones in no time... Beats any garage!!

Hooch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Hooch,

Yeah I meant on this forum, Its definately the place to be though, I`ve posted a few of my probs here and I`ve never had a bum steer.

You`re right though there are quite a few nutters like us over here crazy enough to love these tubs. My girlfriend thinks I`m mad and keeps going on about me getting a "normal car" but that would be too sensible, besides short from getting a Ferrari what other vehicle give you this much fun and turns heads wherever you go.

I live in Surrey BTW (Virginia Water) and have a flat in london W12, not too far from Ealing. If you guys ever want to hook up for a beer or three drop me a line.

Anyway while I`m here a quick question the tub of my 79 is a bit beaten up, lots of dents and scrapes that I`ve repaired with the ol` P38 and a spray can, so she doesn`t look too pretty.
I`ve been thinking of painting the exterior of the tub with Durabak but I`m having trouble getting it, I`ve seen a few pics of Durabak coated tubs and they look great.
I`ve noticed that PMD sell Herculiner which every one says is pretty much the same but I`ve never seen it on a the outside of a tub. Have you? (or anyone else)
I hear Herc is thicker than Durabak, will it look good on the exterior of a tub and is there anyy way you can stop the colour from fading in the sun.

Cheers.

Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nick,

My girlfriends mum lives in Acton W3 and I am up there every now and again. Next time I am up there I'll have to pop by... I know what you mean, my girlfriend is always moaning... She likes the CJ to go for a ride in, but doesn't like the money I spend on it...

As for Herculiner on the outside??? You can use it on the inside, but I wouldn't recommend using it on the outside... Btw, I am sure I've seen Durabak for sale in the U.K. (This is the South African equivalent, isn't it?). Can't remember where, but I'll have a look.

Hooch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.