Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the carb, cleaned it up, put it back on, and now the jeep wont start. It cranks and wants to start, but as soon as it sounds like it will start, let off the key and nothing. Every once and a while I get a nice backfire through the carb (which I think is key to the problem) but I am stumped. Good spark all the way to the plugs. Plugs are wet with gas...any ideas? I have seen plenty on this board with some similiar problems...please refresh my memory with possibilities.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 258

G

·
Any chance you played with the timing? The back fire through the carb is usually an indication of timming that is way off.....or you possibly have a bad timming chain.

What did you change before it quite running?

If the plugs are wet then there is tooooo much gas in the cyclinders.

As for the ignition...When you have the ignition switch in the 'Start' pos, the switch applies a full 12 volts to the coil. This has two purposes..first, it gives more umph to the coil for those cold mornings...second, it helps compensate for the voltage drop caused by the starter drain. When you relase the ignition switch, the resistive wire is now feeding the coil, thus the voltage is around 8-9 VDC. NOTE: Do not bypass the resistive wire. While it may give you more spark, the extra heat generated in the coil will burn it up after a short time.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definately way tooo much gas in the cylinders...which may be causing the backfire. I am certain the timing is correct. I think the backfire is a by product of the main problem. The multimeter says 11.25 on the bat side of the coil when in the start pos...0.00 when you release from the start position and it is in the run pos. Does this = no spark to the cylinders in the run position? That would explain all the gas and wet plugs, wouldn't it?

JK
O|||O
78CJ5 258

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed!! Thanks DDAWG16...you helped spark the imagination which led me to the solution. I didn't tell you that I disconnected the cannon plug on the firewall...well, when I reconnected it apparently the resistance wire prong wasn't lined up and got bent. Therefore 0 volts in run pos. Once I fixed the plug it started right up! Thanks...

JK
O|||O
78CJ5 258

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.