Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some intermittent problems with my AMC 360. Every once in a while, it acts like it looses all electrical, and the engine will die. It may start back up or it may take several hours of working with it until it decides to start.

I have replaced the coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, the distributor twice, and am still having the problem. The engine is grounded good. I thought it might be the ignition module, but I am getting spark all the way to the plugs when it is having problems. It just won't fire at all. I worked with it about 3 hours yesterday and wasn't getting anything but cranking. Just as I was about to give up, it started and is running fine again. It may run fine another hour or for days before it will misteriously die again.

Anybody have any ideas as to what might be going on?

I am now starting to think it might be something in the ignition switch on the column allowing it to crank, but not be in the run position?

Any suggestions beyond where I am at now would be appreciated.

Eric.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Had the ignition switch on my 89XJ go bad. Same problems you describe. The hotter it got the less voltage could pass through it. Hot was something like 8V. No where near enough to keep it running.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Las' time I had sumpin' like 'at it were the roll pin in the ol' distributor shaft a-sheared and it jus' hooked up ever now n' then. If the key will crank it, then it is getting full volts to the coil like they do at "crank" only. Will it fire at all? While cranking? Don't forget that the dee stributor has to ground to the block also. Got fuel? How about a grevous vacuum leak? I would definitely check the volts at the coil when it stops again. It is beginning to look a lot like the key and the feeder circuit. ALSO.......check the pole on the solenoid to be sure that it is feeding the temporary 12V to the coil on "crank". Even if the key pole was kaputzo, it should run on the solenoid pole as long as the solenoid is on "crank". So if it starts and then quits when you leggo the key, that's a solenoid problem as well./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll admit I'm not very familiar with this engine at all. However, I'll throw this out just in case. On one of my previous trucks, I had very similar problems you are referring to. I went through just about everything trying to find the problem. When it was all said and done, the culprit ended up being the starter relay module. Very cheap and easy to replace and I never had any more problems. Again, not even sure if you have this module in your vehicle, but if you do, it's something else to take a look at.

1976 CJ-7
258ci, T18, Dana 20
6" Lift, Dana 44 Front & Rear

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had an '83 Dodge (mitusbishi)Challenger that had the very same symptoms
you describe. The ingniton module was intermittant. Replacee the distributor with a rebuilt (because module and warranty were included) and that module was just as cantankerous. I made the parts place GIVE me a new module and I never had any more problems.

CB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.