Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95YJ (2.5 L) and the starter makes a terrible whining noise at start-up. I initially thought it was a loose belt, but apparently the starter will need to be replaced soon. Any advice as to models or specifications would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny B.
95YJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mine does the same thing, around a year ago it started making the noise, then it stopped for a while. Now it is doing it again. I'm just gonna wait until it dies. I'd also love to hear some opinions on replacements. BTW, mine also is a 95 with the 2.5L.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The newer YJs, TJs and XJs with 2.5l 4s use an improved Nippondenso starter that replaces most of the earlier starters back to the mid 80s and eliminates the GM style shim. It has had very few problems compared to the older models. They are expensive new or rebuilt, but a wrecking yard may be a good source for one off a late model Jeep. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Nick, I don't think waiting for the starter to die is a good idea. It's just not the inconvience,
the starter could take some flywheel or flex plate teeth with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I say just get a cheap autoparts store one now with a lifetime warrenty, keep the reciept, and use the old starter as a spare while it still works. Just my opinion.

Kenney Johnson
San Diego 4 Wheelers
89 YJ w/ 98 XJ 4.0, Dana 60, "stuff"
www.sd4wheel.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.