Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that it is good to run a 2/0 gauge cable from one of the starter mounting bolts directly to the negative battery terminal, due to the high load placed on the starter. When I run this heavy ground, is it still necessary to ground the engine block to the negative terminal also? I figure the starter ground will take care of grounding the engine too, but wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks.

Greg J.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Dear Grounded-In-Bluegrass: That is a very good question that you have put before the board, and it will be my pleasure to answer. Now that you have done the right thing by your Jeep, and have connected the high-current starter (-)load directly to the (-) side of the battery, it would complete your PhD in Jeepelectrical if you would run a #8 stranded welding cable or some such superconductor from the OTHER high current device on that engine to the (-) on the battery as well. By high-current device I am speaking here of the ALTERNATOR. The least-noticed, yet most important ground ON the engine. There is a threaded hole in the back of some alternators which will be perfect for the connection. Otherwise go to the bracket./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I have some marine terminals on the top of my battery for a couple accesseries. I also have a battery cable connected to each terminal: one going to the power side of the alternater and another going to the terminal CJDave mentioned. I use the side terminals for the rest of the jeep.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

1 - 3 of 3 Posts