Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cam is WAY too big for the automatic i put in my jeep..i had to crank up the idle to keep the jeep from stalling when i put it gear and now i have to ride the brakes the whole time i am on the trail..... how bad an idea would a mild stall converter be? do they engauge abruptly or is it smooth? I have never been much of an automatic guy, but after crawling this past weekend, i am sold on it
anyone know what types of converters are available for the tf 727? this jeep only sees the road on the way to the trail.

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
MY OPINION

dont try and fix the wrong cam with the wrong converter...

just get a low RPM, RV type cam

youll burn up that new tranny with a stall converter on your first big ledge..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Not sure how to take that GeeAea,

umm, ok, I want a lock up style, 4000 RPM stall...

to go with my front dana 27, rear dana 30, and 2.72 axle gears with 35x15 inch tires...

OzarkJeep

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
and is that behind your big block there ozark?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
acutally, its a 500 Caddy motor, with a blower, and 14.1:1 compression ( i kept it reasonable for the pump gas you know..)
It makes a 120 HP on teh dyno so I know its tuned SWEEEET

its too early for this...

as Ross would say "stick to the issues!"

OzarkJeep

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had the same problem as you elusive. my initial cam was a 224 .470 !!! in a little ole 283ci ! I went with a tc with more stall at first, I think it as 1800ish, one of thse TCI "saturday night" models for about $100, for a TH350 though. Still didn't like it. I just put in one of those comp Xtreme cams a few weeks ago. MAN, what a difference! WAY more bottom end, best $100 I ever spent. Installed it in straight up, and also put in an edle performer rpm. works for me.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Nothin' nasty, Matt/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif......just that many Jeepers spend much money on one or more forms of "abuse" to their rides. I just view an extreme torque converter, it's advantages and liabilities, in the same column as broken axles ......blown lockers ......shot 35" mutha humpin' tires......wrinkled sheetmetal..... bent frames.....and crushed windshields. I just don't see the difference. Where would this whole thing be if everyone heeded the words "what in the hell would you want to do that for"?

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
gotcha Gee,

hey i sound like a movie extra to an Ice T flick saying that!

OzarkJeep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts