Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to put stainless hardware on my CJ and I was just wondering if there are some superior brands or some brands I may want to stay away from.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Avoid Steel Horse, go for the Pierce Stainless Steel products. Steel Horse is commonly referred to as Rusty Pony, I am sure you can guess why. As a general rule Steel Horse sucks at everything they build, everything. I listened to some people dog them about their products. I then ordered some on accident when I thought I was getting another brand. Their parts rusted in about 3-weeks. And stay away from there consoles like they contained rats carrying the black plague.
Just some helpful advice, not only is it my $.02 but it is the truth. Steel Horse SUCKS

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought about $600 worth of stainless from a company called either Kenrol or Kentrol, something like that. Anyway, it's been on there about a year and looks just as good as it did when I bought it.

Big 78 CJ5, 95 Chevy 2500 ext. cab

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had Steelhorse SS windshield hinged, door hinges, hood set on my jeep for 3 yrs now and no rust. If it rusted in 3weeks then it wasn;t stainless steel, probably chrome. As for other Steelhorse products, stay away from the consuls. I had one. It fell apart in one year. Definately not worth the ~$90.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the console info. I'm going to get one shortly and is kinda looking towards the tuffy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had mixed results with Steel Horse. I did have a full set of SS hinges but I took them off...not because of rust, but rather because I could not get my doors to stay aligned. I ended up powder coating all my hinges and putting those back on...twice the strength.

I have the SH Supper seats and love em...as well as the padded console. Mine has been in for over 4 years and is still in good shape. However, I am building one of my own...mainly because I have some special needs.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with DDawg. BUilding your own consul is the way to go if you want to be completly satisfied. That way you can design it to fit as needed and to be as big/small as needed. I built my own, and it has been much sturdier than the Steelhorse p.o.s consul that I had 3yrs ago.

Just some thoughts

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting thread. I had a Tuffy security console in my old YJ and was nuts about it. Getting another one for my CJ when the budget will bear it.

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Make your own console! Pressure treated plywood, stainless hardware, stainless hinge, marine grade naugahyde(from the finest naugas only), monel(stainless) staples, any other boat dealer supplies. Satinless lock?? Bend it to fit, paint it to match, and if it doesn't fit....chrome it. Is that why Harleys have so much chrome? Just kidding. Jimmy Z.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kentrol has quality parts. Highly recommend them.
For the fasteners (nuts, bolts, washers, etc.), I've
purchased numerous items from Totally Stainless in PA.
(717-337-2151). They have about any fastener you'd need.
They will even send you a catalog if you want.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Kentrol is sold by 4WD Hardware among others. One of the owners of 4WD is also involved with Kentrol, I read somewhere......anyways, Kentrol is high quality stainless stuff............made in China according to the labels.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

1 - 12 of 12 Posts