Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aquantence that wants me to work on their 83 cj7.I believe I have identified it as a sr4(pretty sure,but not 100%) at least thats what it looks like in the book.Any way, it's making a noise like a rock in the bellhousing.If you push in the clutch, it stops,let it back out and it starts again.It sounds as though a gear is broke or somthing.I was in the process of pulling the top off of it, and got to reading the book.The book says that the adapter has to come off before I can take off the top.That sure is a PITA just to see whats wrong.If a pressure plate was to break a spring, wouldnt it make the noise whether the clutch was in or not? I have a task ahead off me, but was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this before.It makes the noise while costing or driving clutch in or out, but it goes in all the gears.Just seems to me that if somthing came loose, that it would skip or lock up... sorry for the long post, just trying to get some insight...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I wish I could help you pinpoint the problem. But like you, I think of several causes. The T-4 tranny was stock that year. It will swap easily with the SR-4 or T-5. However, it's a good time to look at upgrade options before throwing money at a weak transmission like those. Been there, done that.
Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK,I got to looking at a 4-wheel hardware book this morning, and it shows to be a t4 not an sr4.If that changes anything. Is that tranny worth keeping for a street jeep with a 16 yr. old behind the wheel?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
sounds like a throw out bearing to me.. but ass long as you are in there replace everything.. at least the clutch..
the clutch, throw-out bearing, and pressure plate are about $100
the throw out bearing is only $15-20, but it's such a pain, i allways change everything when i go in there.. you have to drop the tranny to get at it, but it still only takes about 6 hours.. even the first time

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I agree with elusive, it's the throwout bearing. As to the tranny, it might hold, then it might not. I'd run it until it dies, then look for a T-176. Strange thing with trannys, sometimes the weak ones hold OK, sometimes they don't. Mine didn't, so out it went, but only after it had no life left to it.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the '82 t-4 (you sould have this too) and rebuilt it last summer. Sounds like you have a bearing problem. I just bought a small parts kit (about $35) and replaced a few bearings and runs sa-weet right now. If I had the money I would go with another trans, but hey it does the job and no complaints here. It's really not that hard to do, but takes time. After pulling the trans and tranfer from the bellhousing, you do have to take off the transfer case from the tran first, then the top cover in order to get inside. I would recommend getting the small parts kit and puttin' some shims in the input shaft retainer especially if the input shaft is loose like mine was. If you have any more questions or tips . . . also look up in the search for your criteria--should be some good stuff there.
_Chaser

·
Registered
854 Posts
i rebuild one with quality parts, at least that is what 4 Wheel Drive Hardware claimed. It lasted 600 miles before blowing apart. It is more expensive to upgrade the transmission. An upgrade will last longer. If it is not aV-8, the t-176 is a good swap, that costs less than some of the otrher swaps. That trans. is stronger than the t-4 and t-5's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my knowledge of how manyual trannys work, it sounds like a through out bearing. Mine did this in my 87, different tranny, but the same symptoms. Nevertheless, you are going to have to pull the tranny. Might as well put a new clutch and pressure plate in there while you're at it.

good luck,

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a SR4 in my 81 jeep. About five years ago I was driving on a washboard road, when something snapped, is sounded like I broke a shock, but it was internal. After several days of trying to find out what was making the noise, I gave up and continued to drive it. About two months ago driving down the freeway all hell broke loose. Out of the blue, the transmission when out when I shifted into third, by the time I made it home I lost first second and third gears. I origionally though the noise was coming from the clutch, possibly a spring. When I pulled the tranny, the clutch was fine, all the noise and problems where in the transmission. A fellow jeeper thought that it was a bearing going out, and when it finally fell apart it caused damage to the rest of the transmission. My fix, I bought a new T5 from Checker Auto parts for $900.00, plus tax and core. It fit great, and there was no modifications. I hope this is of help to you if you need anything else I can be reached at [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this.I'll get back to yall when I take it out this evening..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts