Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this sound that resembles a bad throw out bearing.
I replaced the clutch and TOB, when I did the rear main seal this weekend and
still have the sound.

It is present when the clutch is let out and slowly goes away when I depress the pedal.

Dont know what is causeing this.
does sound like a bearing squeel
Please help

Chu
YJ-7
HEI, 32/36, Centerforce,
Alum. cover, etc...
Yankee Toys
EC4WDA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did you replace the bushing in the crank? I've been breqathing alot of Rustoleum lately/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif and can't for the life of me remeber the name of that bushing. OH YEAH pilot bushing. Did you replace the pilot bushing?

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, sure did
If your gonna do it, do it right
Got the flywheel turned and all

Had the same sound before I did the clutch
Thought that my noise was the TOB
Wrong I was

Chu
YJ-7
HEI, 32/36, Centerforce,
Alum. cover, etc...
Yankee Toys
EC4WDA

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Here is MY best guess.........I think the bellhousing and tranny and engine surfaces have a tolerance build-up problem. NO! That is NOT where you call the perversion that is homosexuality an "alternate" lifestyle! A tolerance buildup is when the total ALLOWABLE indicated runout of each part is additive in one direction. Like the engine to crank tolerance is maxed out, the bellhousing parallel tolerance is maxed out in the same direction....and the tranny face to shaft centerline is also maxed out in the same direction. Result: a crapload of misalignment. Try slipping a tin shim between the tranny and the bell housing between the bottom two bolts and see if it changes. OR.....Loosen the tranny bolts and JACK UP the tranny and re-tighten. If it doesn't change, do it between the engine and the bell housing. If it does get better, guess what/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.....you got a tolerance build up problem and will have to shim things around a little. No big deal to a crusty, independent, self-sufficient Jeeper. That's my guess...unless you did not LUBE the pilot bearing/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
possibly the front bearing on the tranny input shaft?

one end of it is unloaded with teh clutch disengaged and it can wobble in a bad bearing, with the clutch gripping its held in place by the pilot bearing and the force of the gears meshing and the meshing shafts bearing..

just a thought..

Im not that smart and I drink alot, but I got an opinion too damnit!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif The clue in the message Oz is the word "squeel". If you have ever had a bad fit in the pilot bearing, you would say it "squeeled" at you.....that's just how it sounds. Plus....the sound goes away when the clutch goes 1:1....fully engaged....that's another good clue./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It's true that input brgs DO go bad when there is misalignment....OR...when the driver spends a lot of time in low gears. His complaint tells me that the problem is between the crank flange and the front of the tranny. You'd be surprised how much the tranny input bearing retainer can wear the hole in the bellhousing oval if the tranny bolts get a little loose and lets it drop below the true centerline and run the pilot brg on an angle.....which IF the tolerance is already built-up in the wrong direction can be the straw that squeaked the camels back./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif You know, Ozark....every time I read your stuff I think: "This guy's a democrat?" It JUST doesn't fit....you aren't dependent enough to be a demolib, you drive a JEEP for cat's sake/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifand you FIX it instead of CALLING someone. I'm goin' crazy/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifovah heah trying to figger this out./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't know what tranny you have, but I had a similar squeal. I did the same exact thing you did, down to the rear main seal. Put everything back, and it had this annoying squeal. Turned out that I forgot to replace the rubber grommet on the bleeder tubes coming from the internal slave. The tubes were vibrating enough to cause a squeal which went away when you put slight pressure on the clutch pedal. Again, I don't know what tranny you had, but if it helps...

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Stick to the issues Dave!

theres Mr Perot again...
I come and go, some days a tree hugging, liberal hippy, other days I hate everybody, and I just want to shoot things...

Go figure..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I'm figgerin'....I'm figgerin'/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts