Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get these to stay after they brake loose? On one side we got lucky and the ones that broke loose were easy to get to. The other side we were not so lucky. The one I'm currently wrestling is directly below the passenger seat (front outside bolt on the seat bracket). His exhaust is in the way from underneath (not my vehicle). I tore away as much as i could from the bottom and can't quite get anything wedged in there. Do I go from the top or bottom. Its the middle of the three mounts along the outside of the frame on 77 CJ. Hopefully someone smarter than me has a better answer. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother and I had that problem on a CJ-8 we are taking apart. We torn through the metal on top to hold the 'nut' from spinning. Tried wedging stuff between the nut and the tub, like thick pieces of metal, a nut, a bolt head, pliers. Ended up vice gripping it really tight, and then hold the vice grips with another set of vicegrips. With just the one vicegrip, they just turned. By using two, we could get leverage on the first pair to keep them from turning. Also had something wedged in still at the time.

Not sure if this will help you much. Worked for us since we will be trashing the scrambler body soon and didn't care if we had to rip up the metal(floor board) to get to it. Also did the same procedure on a rear body mount.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I had the body off for a frame replacement last year. The mounts you speak of ride in a channel. I got 1/4" stainless steel plates cut just smaller that the channel and drilled and tapped for body bolts. I think they were 3/8-20. Also used anti-seize so when I put a fiberglass body on they will come out easy. E-mail me if you think I can help you more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.