Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Samit sami RTI 1000 on a 30! And drives very nice on the road. (Wheeln) it would go places in 2wd and the ARB off that it would not go in 4wd before with the old setup......Here are some pics

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

SHAFFER [email protected]

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike thanx for putting the PIC up.
What a change from the calmini 5" lift. I am getting about 43 " up the ramp in 2 wheel drive on a 30 degree ramp,
{scored a 1000 on the RTI ramp) as before with the other lift I only got 15 " up the same ramp with all the locker hooked up. { note they is no drive shaft in the front end in the PIC.}.
The tires are the 33 MTR's on 2" back spaced rims. The tires tuck into the sami well.

86 Sami,shaffer coils front & rear,33's MTRs, 4.16 Tranf,5.43 axle,ez-lock front,ARB rear,Disk brake rear,cutting brakes,Toy Pwr Steering,Mini sami trailer.{Uses front clip & rear tub welded as One)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey , where can I get this kit , I mean I have to have it now!!! Ok not really , but I would like to have all the info on it , so I know how much to save for it. Please send me everything you know...Thanx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, I am helping Tim Evans install the suspension on his zuk. As I'm sure you know, time is of the essence. Could you tell me what brackets, hangers, shackle mounts I can go ahead and cut off now. I was afraid to cut anything other than the front upper shock mounts off today for fear they would be needed for measuring points. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Also, from the first pic you posted it looks like the frame is notched where the rear coils locate. Any info on this would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Scott Whitmore
"It's not that it's able to do the job. It's that it does the job so well"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
suzukisjw, might want to email Mike Shaffer at [email protected] or call him at 775 885 9944

86 Sami,shaffer coils front & rear,33's MTRs, 4.16 Tranf,5.43 axle,ez-lock front,ARB rear,Disk brake rear,cutting brakes,Toy Pwr Steering,Mini sami trailer.{Uses front clip & rear tub welded as One)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...Must... have.... coil... must... have... this... one..... aarrgghhh... looks sweet bro!

Where the a-arm meets the rear, is that a johnny joint or normal ball joint? I have been considering using a ball but ahve recenetly been turned on by the johnny joint.

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We use Johnny joints on the lower rear links and on the front y-arm....As for when can you get one we are 45 days out and the kit sales for 1499.00 If you have any questions call me at (775) 885-9944

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't say that price too loud, if my wife hears that I am even considering spending that much MORE cash on my Zuki she'll have a fit (again). Guess I'll have to build my own, but like yours. =)

I've got pretty much all the angles and anchor points down. Just trying to figure out the spring rate on the coils and where to get them.

Do I want stiff coils up front in case I actually live to see the day I do a larger engine swap (Ford 2.8 v6 is looking good) or do I go soft and suffer later. Hrmmm... decisions decisions...

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if I can help just let me know! We run 150 lbs front and rear on the kits for a v-6 i would run 180 and 160 and mount them under the frame...And I can just sell the coils

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike, just wanted to take a sec and say thanks for all the pics you sent me. They will help to keep things moving forward. I truly appreciate it and will be sure to let everyone here know how much we like it and do a write up submission for IZook on our installation and experiences. Thank you again.

Scott Whitmore
"It's not that it's able to do the job. It's that it does the job so well"

·
Registered
932 Posts
While I haven't seen this suspension in action, it sounds like a lot of homework went into it and the spring rates sound close to that of the leaf springs. The coil attempts I have seen so far used too soft of a spring, while making for a cushy ride, they allowed too much body roll in a shock situation. I watched a vehicle with a highly modified former kit on the market roll over when a rear tire slipped of the edge of a ledge about 16" high. While a leaf spring vehicle would have simply went "thud" when the tire hit the bottom of the hole, on the coil unit I saw, the spring could not counteract the inertia of the body following the dropping axle, and the coil compressed to the point that the CG went past the recovery point, and the truck basically fell over on it's side. This has seemed to be the problem with all the former attempts, and I hope this one has overcome that obstacle. Again, let me stress that none that I have seen was the new Shaffer kit, but something to keep in mind, and I really hope that this is the one that has worked out all the bugs of the former attempts.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.